Atomic and Molecular Hydrogen

In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of converting atomic hydrogen to molecular hydrogen through a chemical reaction. The conversation also mentions the characteristics of atomic hydrogen and oxygen, and how they differ from their molecular forms. The use of electrodes in the reaction is also brought up. The conversation ends with a request for book recommendations on the subject.
Butterfly_grl
As simple as the questions seems, I can't seem to find an answer.

1. Can atomic hydrogen by chemical reaction, be converted to molecular hydrogen?

2. what happens when putting electrodes in a reaction that would give me atomic hydrogen? would it be collected at the cathode like molecular hydrogen? The same question for atomic oxygen.

3. Finally, what are the main characteristics of atomic hydrogen and oxygen, and how are they differentiated from the molecular form.

If you please, could you mention any good books that would aid me with the subject ..

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. Depends on how you define 'chemical reaction'. I wouldn't call it that. Atoms of hydrogen will spontaneously combine to form H2 molecules. There's no energy barrier ('activated complex') in doing so, so I would not characterize it as a 'proper' reaction.

2. What do you mean putting electrodes 'in the reaction'? You can't really produce atomic hydrogen in water.

3. Atomic species, with the exception of noble gases, are unstable. As I said, they form bonds with no barrier to doing so.

First of all thanks for the reply,

When I said water reaction to obtain atomic hydrogen, I meant "the dissociation of water with radio waves", I have emailed a university professor who stated in their email that --quote "we believe the radiation is ATOMIC H and O" and they also said that by examination there was no signs for H2 and O2 spectra.

That is why I thought about what would happen if we put electrodes in the reaction?

Any Ideas!

Okay, but the dissociation of water into H+ and OH- or into H* and OH*?

I'd need to know the details of what you're talking about. Saying atomic would indeed seem to imply the latter. (But the dissociation energy would require UV rather than radio waves)

You can naturally form atomic H and O in solution for brief periods of time, but since they're unstable they're going to eventually recombine to form water, H2, O2 etc. You'd normally expect at least some hydrogen atoms to find other ones to combine into H2, so that's probably why they were looking for H2 formation.

Anyway dissociation into the radical species isn't a redox reaction, no ions are formed, so electrodes wouldn't really change anything.

1. What is the difference between atomic and molecular hydrogen?

Atomic hydrogen is the simplest form of hydrogen, consisting of one proton and one electron. Molecular hydrogen, on the other hand, is a molecule made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded together.

2. How does atomic and molecular hydrogen behave differently?

Atomic hydrogen is highly reactive and unstable, often combining with other elements to form compounds. Molecular hydrogen, on the other hand, is relatively stable and is commonly found in nature, such as in water or organic compounds.

3. What are some common applications of atomic and molecular hydrogen?

Atomic hydrogen is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in the study of atomic and molecular structures. Molecular hydrogen is used in various industrial processes, such as hydrogenation reactions in the production of fuels and chemicals.

4. Can atomic and molecular hydrogen be found in space?

Yes, both atomic and molecular hydrogen can be found in space. Atomic hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and can be found in interstellar clouds. Molecular hydrogen is also commonly found in space, particularly in regions of star formation.

5. Is it possible to convert atomic hydrogen into molecular hydrogen?

Yes, it is possible to convert atomic hydrogen into molecular hydrogen through a process called recombination. This occurs naturally in the universe, but can also be artificially induced in a laboratory setting.