Atomic Chain in BCC - # Atoms/Unit Length & Area

In summary, the number of atoms per unit length in the [1 1 1] direction of a BCC structure is 1/8+1/8+1.
madeinmsia
i'd like to know what is the number of atoms per unit length for an atomic chain in the [1 1 1] direction of a BCC structure.

i can figure out the unit length, however I'm not sure how many atoms to use. Is it 1/8+1/8+1? That means 1/8s for the two corner atoms and 1 atom for the middle? or is it just 3 atoms?

part of the problem is i cannot find anywhere the meaning of atomic chain in the BCC structure.

likewise, what if i had to find the number of atoms per unit area in the (1 1 1) plane? the area part is easy, but again is the number of atoms 4 or 1/8 * 3 + 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does one mean by 'atomic chain'? We usually refer to an 'atomic lattice', in which the atoms are located at specific points in a repeated crystal structure.

In a BCC cube, there is one whole atom at the center of the unit cube, and 1/8 atom at each corner of the cube.

i'm not sure but that's what i was asked.

so if it's atomic lattice, then i would be right to say the corners are 1/8 and the middle is 1 atom? but isn't the middle atom shared by other diagnoal lattice?

madeinmsia said:
i'm not sure but that's what i was asked.

so if it's atomic lattice, then i would be right to say the corners are 1/8 and the middle is 1 atom? but isn't the middle atom shared by other diagnoal lattice?
In a sense yes. One could shift the unit cell diagonally in any of the 8 directions of the BCC unit cell, and the corner atom becomes a center atom, and center atom is now a corner atom.

The unit cell is a 3D concept, as opposed to a 2D-plane.

The diagonal length is BCC unit cell is R + 2R + R, where R is the atomic radius, because the corner atoms are tangent to the center atoms. So the cubic unit cell must have a face side length of less than 2R.

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c123/bcc.html

Nice pictures here - http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Materials/Structure/metallic_structures.htm

http://genchem.chem.wisc.edu/lab/winss/metal_cells/body_centered_cubic_metals/dim_bbc_unit_cell.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the atomic chain in BCC?

The atomic chain in BCC (body-centered cubic) refers to the arrangement of atoms in a crystal structure. In BCC, each atom is surrounded by eight other atoms, with one atom at the center of each cube.

2. How many atoms are there per unit length in BCC?

In BCC, there are 2 atoms per unit length along the body diagonal of the cube.

3. How many atoms are there per unit area in BCC?

In BCC, there are 4 atoms per unit area on the (100) plane of the cube.

4. How does the number of atoms per unit length and area differ in BCC compared to FCC?

In BCC, there are fewer atoms per unit length and area compared to FCC (face-centered cubic). In FCC, there are 4 atoms per unit length along the cube edges and 6 atoms per unit area on the (100) plane.

5. How does the atomic chain in BCC affect the properties of materials?

The atomic chain in BCC plays a significant role in determining the properties of materials. BCC structures tend to have higher melting points and are less ductile compared to FCC structures. Additionally, the arrangement of atoms in BCC can affect the strength, conductivity, and other physical and chemical properties of materials.