Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic electric dipole moment

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me info about atomic electric dipole moment at a very fundemental level (fenomenological, basic quantum), I do not seem to find it when I google =(

My Aim is just to understand van der Waals binding in solids a little bit more.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

There's a short section about the physical origin of the van der Waals "Fluctuating dipole" forces on page 390 of Ashcroft and Mermin "Solid State Physics". It is a very short section though.

Also, Chaikin and Lubensky section 1.3.2 on van der Waals is good. Basically, they expand the Hamiltonian for two atoms (electrons and nuclei, whose nuclei are a fixed distance R apart) and do perturbation theory using

[tex]
    H' = \frac{e^2}{R^3}(x^1x^2+y^1y^2-2z^1z^2)
    [/tex]

the first order perturbation vanishes and they have to go to second order (thus we see that the perturbation of the energy goes like 1/R^6).

Actually working out the matrix elements is a little painful even in the case of H atoms, but it can be done in that case.

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, I'll check out the library

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?