Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Emission Spectra

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    Hi all!

I just joined the forums and hopefully my question is in the right place and isn't a lame one but I'm stuck so here goes:

I want to know how to calculate wavelength from a known distance and color for Helium. I need exact wavelength. I already have the ranges obviously. Usually it's wavelength=c/v but I don't have frequency so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    What do you mean by distance?
    Also color is frequency... so presumably if you know one - you know the other.
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    sorry, I just realized that I was given a chart of Helium Wavelengths and the distances are to be used for something else:

I have six colors: violet, Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, and Red which all have ranges.
    violet: 380-420
    blue: 440-470
    green: 500-520
    orange: 580-620
    yellow: 550-580
    red: 620-700

I think I am supposed to pick the wavelength from the given chart based on these ranges. Most work except for yellow. Yellow is in 550-580 and I don't see a wavelength that would fit in this range that is given above. And I must have six colors so I can't ignore the yellow.
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4
    what about the 587.6, its pretty close?
  6. Apr 29, 2008 #5
    Yeah I guess, I will have to use that. I don't see another option. Thanks anyway, i guess this doesn't really count as a legitimate question; more of a weird data setup issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?