Calculate wavelength from a known distance and color for Helium

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the wavelength of Helium based on a known distance and color. The individual already has a chart of Helium Wavelengths and six colors with corresponding ranges. They are trying to match the ranges to the given wavelengths, but are having trouble with the yellow range. Another participant suggests using the wavelength of 587.6, which is close to the yellow range, and the individual agrees to use it.
NIN_GIRL81
Hi all!

I just joined the forums and hopefully my question is in the right place and isn't a lame one but I'm stuck so here goes:

I want to know how to calculate wavelength from a known distance and color for Helium. I need exact wavelength. I already have the ranges obviously. Usually it's wavelength=c/v but I don't have frequency so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What do you mean by distance?
Also color is frequency... so presumably if you know one - you know the other.

lzkelley said:
What do you mean by distance?
Also color is frequency... so presumably if you know one - you know the other.

sorry, I just realized that I was given a chart of Helium Wavelengths and the distances are to be used for something else:

I have six colors: violet, Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, and Red which all have ranges.
violet: 380-420
blue: 440-470
green: 500-520
orange: 580-620
yellow: 550-580
red: 620-700

I think I am supposed to pick the wavelength from the given chart based on these ranges. Most work except for yellow. Yellow is in 550-580 and I don't see a wavelength that would fit in this range that is given above. And I must have six colors so I can't ignore the yellow.

what about the 587.6, its pretty close?

Yeah I guess, I will have to use that. I don't see another option. Thanks anyway, i guess this doesn't really count as a legitimate question; more of a weird data setup issue.

:)

1. How do I calculate the wavelength of Helium from a known distance and color?

To calculate the wavelength of Helium, you will need to use the equation wavelength = distance * color. The distance should be measured in meters and the color should be converted to its corresponding frequency in Hertz. Then, simply multiply the two values together to find the wavelength in meters.

2. What is the relationship between distance, color, and wavelength for Helium?

The relationship between distance, color, and wavelength for Helium is directly proportional. This means that as the distance increases, the wavelength also increases, and as the color (or frequency) increases, the wavelength decreases. This relationship is described by the equation wavelength = distance * color.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for distance and color to calculate the wavelength of Helium?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for distance and color as long as they are consistent. For example, you can use meters for distance and Hertz for color, or you can use centimeters for distance and kilohertz for color. Just be sure to convert your units if necessary before plugging them into the equation wavelength = distance * color.

4. Why is it important to calculate the wavelength of Helium from a known distance and color?

Calculating the wavelength of Helium from a known distance and color is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of Helium. The wavelength is a fundamental characteristic of any wave, including electromagnetic waves like light. Knowing the wavelength can help us determine the energy and frequency of the Helium atoms, as well as how they interact with other particles and objects.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of my calculated wavelength for Helium?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of your calculated wavelength for Helium. These include experimental errors, uncertainties in the measurement of distance and color, and external factors such as temperature and pressure. It is important to be aware of these potential sources of error and to take appropriate measures to minimize their impact on your calculations.