Atomic Energy Levels: Calculating Hydrogen's 5 Lowest Levels

In summary, the hydrogen atom has infinitely many energy levels, corresponding to n=1,2,3,etc. while typically only the lowest energy level is shown in diagrams. However, it is possible to excite the atom into higher energy levels, although it is normally in the lowest-energy state.
Jeebus

Homework Statement

Calculate the five (5) lowest energy levels for the hydrogen atom using Bohr's model.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_{n}= -2\xime^4 Z^2/h^2 n^2[\tex]

= [tex]-(2.178\times10^18 J)Z^2/n^2[\tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get how to attempt it but how can there be 5 lowest energy levels when hydrogen has only one energy level. I'm puzzled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeebus said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the five (5) lowest energy levels for the hydrogen atom using Bohr's model.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_{n}= -2\xime^4 Z^2/h^2 n^2[/tex]

= [tex]-(2.178\times10^18 J)Z^2/n^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get how to attempt it but how can there be 5 lowest energy levels when hydrogen has only one energy level. I'm puzzled.

Hydrogen has infinitely many energy levels, corresponding to n=1,2,3,etc.

Why did you think there is only one level?

Electron arrangement of hydrogen and drawing it out basicly only shows one ring.
Thinks that this is the only energy level.
Thats my guess, I got confused about that when I first started the topic.

P.S. Eventually has an ionisation level does it not? so not infinite energy levels.

Typically, you will see diagrams showing an atom in it's lowest-energy state. I am guessing this is the figure you have seen. However, there are in fact more energy levels -- infinitely many -- between this lowest energy and the ionization level.

Normally an atom will be in the lowest-energy state most of the time. But it is possible to excite the atom into the higher states (without ionizing it), for example by shining light of the appropriate wavelength at the atom.

EDIT: adding links
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c2
http://www.bpreid.com/applets/hel.html

1. What is atomic energy level?

Atomic energy level refers to the amount of energy that an electron possesses when it is in a particular orbital around the nucleus of an atom. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values.

2. How are atomic energy levels calculated?

Atomic energy levels are calculated using mathematical equations and principles from quantum mechanics. Specifically, the Schrödinger equation is used to determine the energy levels of an atom.

3. What is the significance of calculating hydrogen's 5 lowest energy levels?

Hydrogen's 5 lowest energy levels are significant because they provide important insights into the behavior of electrons in atoms. These energy levels also help to explain and predict the chemical and physical properties of hydrogen and other elements.

4. Why are hydrogen's energy levels important in atomic physics?

Hydrogen's energy levels are important in atomic physics because hydrogen is the simplest atom, consisting of only one electron and one proton. Therefore, studying its energy levels can provide a better understanding of more complex atoms and their energy levels.

5. Can atomic energy levels be observed experimentally?

Yes, atomic energy levels can be observed experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy. This involves shining light on an atom and measuring the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted, which correspond to the energy levels of the electrons.