1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Form Factor

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to calculate the atomic form factor for various crystals (NaCl, LiF, GaP, Si) in an x-ray diffraction experiment.

There seems to be very little information on this topic anywhere.

2. Relevant equations

I understand how to derive the geometric form factor Sk = sum of exp[i.pi.K.r]

And the atomic form factor is Sk = ∑exp[i.pi.K.r].fj

Where fj(K) = -1/e ∫dr exp[i.K.r].pj(r)

3. The attempt at a solution

For a BCC lattice Sk = 1+(-1)^n1+n2+n3 -monatomic
    My guess is that I sub in Sk = f1(1) + f2(-1)^n1+n2+n3

I am not sure if this is correct and how I can generalize it, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2
    The atomic form factor does not depend on the type of crystal. Is a characteristic of the atom. You can find it in literature or databases, for each atom, as a function of angle and wavelength.

It looks like you are trying to calculate the structure factor of various lattices and not the atomic form factor. Isn't that so?

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    Ohh, I actually made a mistake,

fj(K) is the actual atomic form factor, I solved the geometric form factor for a BCC lattice but I am struggling to add in the atomic form factor. ~ I guessed that I simply multiply each geometric form factor answer for a BCC lattice by each atomic form factor but honestly I don't really know and I can't find any texts on it.

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted