1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Hydrogen

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1
    I spent my Thanksgiving trying to solve my homework and I will need some help:

1)For fixed electron energy ,the orbital quantum number l is limited to n-1.We can obtain this result from a semiclassical argument using the fact that the larges angular momentum describes circular orbits,where all kinetic energy is in orbital form.For hydrogen-like atoms U(x)=-(Zke^2)/r
    and the energy in circular orbits becomes:

Quantize this realtion using the rules of |L|=(l(l+1))^0.5 and E=-((ke^2)Z^2)/(2an^2),together with the Bohr result for the allowed values of r,to show that the largest integer value of l consistent with total energy i s lmax=n-1

ke^2)Z^2)/(2an^2)=((|L|^2)/2mr^2)-(Zke^2)/r and substituting |L|=(l(l+1))^0.5

but i dont know what to do after this

please can somebody help me
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to substitute for the r versus n dependence as given by Bohr.

4. Nov 28, 2006 #3
    When I use formula for Bohrs radius

my equation is :

and i dont know how i can from here get

5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should have gotten an inequation. See if l_max=n will fit into your equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?