What is the difference between atomic mass and molar mass in chemistry?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding the Ideal Gas Law for their upcoming chemistry quiz. They have tried reviewing on Wikipedia but are still confused, particularly with concepts such as mole, atomic weight, and molecular and molar mass. They are asking for a printable periodic table or a list of elements with their corresponding masses to help them better understand these concepts. The speaker acknowledges that they may not even be aware of everything they need to know and asks for clarification if needed.
psyhprog
I have a quiz on Tuesday at chemistry, and I began reviewing for it. The subject is the Ideal Gas Law. I pretty much got the hang of it, except that I have one tiny problem. I'm kind of rusty on chemistry, and that's preventing me from getting a good grip. I've looked on Wikipedia, but it seems to only further my confusion (tried the manual, doesn't cover this topic). I can't exactly remember what a mole, atomic weight (or mass) is, and all that other stuff. The ideal gas law, in the forms that I've been taught, has either n (the number of moles, where I'm a little hazy) or m/miu (mass over molar mass, or something) at which point I'm completely lost. I don't know what molecular mass is, the difference between molecular and molar mass, and I don't know where to find either on a periodic table.

Also, if someone can provide a good printable periodic table with the required stuff on it (masses, where to find them, and everything) or perhaps a list with the elements and their masses, I would be grateful.

PS I may not even know what I don't know, that's how much I don't remember. So if it seems that what I'm asking isn't really related to the ideal gas law or applying it, please tell me so.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are missing the most basic things you will ever need in chemistry. Mole (unit of amount of substance) and molar mass (mass of one mole of a substance) have a decent wikipedia articles explaining details - please start there.

1. What is the difference between atomic mass and molar mass?

Atomic mass refers to the mass of a single atom of an element, while molar mass is the mass of one mole (Avogadro's number) of atoms of that element. Atomic mass is measured in atomic mass units (amu), while molar mass is measured in grams per mole (g/mol).

2. How is atomic mass calculated?

Atomic mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of all the naturally occurring isotopes of an element. This means that the mass of each isotope is multiplied by its abundance, and then all of these values are added together.

3. What is the significance of atomic mass and molar mass?

Atomic mass and molar mass are both important for understanding the properties and behavior of elements. They help determine the chemical and physical properties of elements, as well as their reactivity and bonding with other elements.

4. Why is molar mass used in chemistry?

Molar mass is used in chemistry because it allows for easier calculations and comparisons between elements. It also helps in determining the amount of a substance needed for a reaction, as one mole of any substance contains the same number of particles (Avogadro's number).

5. How do you find the molar mass of a compound?

To find the molar mass of a compound, you need to add up the molar masses of each element in the compound. These molar masses can be found on the periodic table. For example, to find the molar mass of water (H2O), you would add the molar mass of hydrogen (1.008 g/mol) to twice the molar mass of oxygen (15.999 g/mol), resulting in a molar mass of 18.016 g/mol for water.