1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic mass units

1. Jul 29, 2006 #1
    Been many years since I took general and org chem and am currently reading general chem textbook as refresher. Came across defintion of amu (atomic mass unit). Text says that the mass of the carbon-12 atom is defined to be exactly 12 amu. However, a couple of pages over, I read that the mass of the proton is about 1.007 amu, and the mass of the neutron is about 1.009 amu. Add up the masses of 6 protons and 6 neutrons for the carbon-12 atom, and you come up with more than 12 amu. I can't resolve this apparent discrepancy. I've consulted other texts, etc. Does some type of relativistic effect bear on this situation? In other words, does, for example, an isolated proton have a mass of 1.007 amu, but then when part of an atom have a slightly different mass because of some relativistic effect? HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The mass difference is the "binding energy" for 12C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?