Calculating Atomic Mass: Solving for Pi Meson's Mass in AMU

In summary, calculating the atomic mass of a pi meson involves converting its mass in kilograms to atomic mass units (AMU). This is done by dividing the mass in kilograms by the mass of one AMU, which is equal to 1.66053906660 x 10^-27 kg. The resulting value is the pi meson's mass in AMU, which is approximately 0.13957018 AMU. This calculation is important in understanding the mass of subatomic particles and their role in particle physics.
Dx
A pi meson has mass of 139MeV/c^2. what is this in atomic mass?

HOw do i solve for this? what steps do I need to do, any examples you can give to help me with to solve?
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dx,

I made a mistake. The amu is not the mass of one proton, it is 1/12 the mass of a C12 atom.

I believe 1 amu is something like 812 MeV/c^2..bah...i don't know the exact number, its something in the 800's

EDIT: Its 931.5 MeV/c^2 for each amu

Thanks you guys are the bomb! :wink:

1. How do you calculate atomic mass?

To calculate atomic mass, you need to know the mass of each individual isotope of an element and its abundance. Multiply the mass of each isotope by its abundance (as a decimal) and add all the results together. This will give you the atomic mass in atomic mass units (AMU).

2. What is the formula for calculating atomic mass?

The formula for calculating atomic mass is: (mass of isotope 1 x abundance of isotope 1) + (mass of isotope 2 x abundance of isotope 2) + ... + (mass of isotope n x abundance of isotope n).

3. How is atomic mass expressed?

Atomic mass is expressed in atomic mass units (AMU). One AMU is equal to 1/12 of the mass of a carbon-12 atom. It is also sometimes expressed in grams per mole (g/mol).

4. How can I find the mass of a specific isotope?

You can find the mass of a specific isotope by looking it up on the periodic table or by using a mass spectrometer. The mass spectrometer measures the mass-to-charge ratio of atoms and can identify the different isotopes present in a sample.

5. How do you solve for pi meson's mass in AMU?

To solve for pi meson's mass in AMU, you would need to know the mass of each individual isotope of pi meson (pi+ and pi-) and their respective abundances. Then you would use the formula for calculating atomic mass, substituting in the mass and abundance values for each isotope of pi meson. The result will be the atomic mass of pi meson in AMU.