Why does Atomic Mass Differ from # of Protons & Neutrons?

In summary, the atomic weight of an element is the weighted average mass of its stable isotopes. This means that the number of protons and neutrons in an atom may not necessarily be the same. There is a semi-empirical relation that suggests a balance between the number of neutrons and protons for stability, but there is no simple equation to determine this. For more information, it is recommended to consult a Nuclear physics forum.
Myslius
Why atomic mass doesn't match the number of protons and neutrons in it?
for example mercury mass is 200 gmol but it has only 80 protons and 80 neutrons. From where does 40 gmol come from?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The stable isotopes of Mercury have between 116 and 124 neutrons, not 80. The atomic weight is the weighted average mass of all of the stable isotopes.

that makes sense, thanks, i just though that the number of protons and neutrons in nucleus are quite the same

Is there any equation to determine how many neutrons there should be to keep an atom stable? I don't mean mass - number of protons. I mean the equation that can determine an interval of neutrons based on atomic number only and the forces.

There is a semi-empirical relation that says that light nuclei are most stable when n=p, but that as p increases, the ratio of n/p needs to increase so that the strong force can compensate for the increased electrical repulsion. But I don't think there is a simple equation. Here's a graph showing where the stable nuclei lie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotope#Nuclear_properties_and_stability

Myslius said:
Is there any equation to determine how many neutrons there should be to keep an atom stable? I don't mean mass - number of protons. I mean the equation that can determine an interval of neutrons based on atomic number only and the forces.

Try posting that question in the Nuclear physics forum, you might get some interesting answers.

1. Why is the atomic mass different from the number of protons and neutrons?

The atomic mass, also known as the atomic weight, is the average mass of all the isotopes of an element. Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons. Therefore, the atomic mass takes into account the different abundances of each isotope, resulting in a value that is different from the sum of protons and neutrons.

2. How is atomic mass calculated?

Atomic mass is calculated by multiplying the mass of each isotope by its relative abundance and then adding all the values together. This isotope abundance is determined by the percentage of each isotope found in a natural sample of the element.

3. Why do some elements have decimal values for atomic mass?

Some elements have decimal values for atomic mass because they have multiple isotopes with different masses. For example, carbon has three naturally occurring isotopes with masses of 12, 13, and 14. When the mass of each isotope is multiplied by its relative abundance and added together, the result is a decimal value for the atomic mass.

4. Does the atomic mass of an element ever change?

The atomic mass of an element can change if the relative abundance of its isotopes changes. This can occur due to natural processes or human activities such as nuclear reactions. However, the number of protons and neutrons in an element's nucleus remains constant, so the atomic mass does not change as long as the number of isotopes and their abundances remain the same.

5. How does the difference between atomic mass and number of protons and neutrons affect the periodic table?

The atomic mass is used to determine the position of an element on the periodic table, as it is a more accurate representation of an element's mass than the number of protons and neutrons. This is important because elements are arranged in order of increasing atomic mass, allowing for easier comparison and prediction of their chemical and physical properties.