Atomic Oscillations: Frequency, Nuclear & Wave Function

In summary: Im still trying to wrap my head around it all!In summary, frequency is used to describe atoms or molecules that are oscillating.
Donn P
What is being discussed when frequency is used to describe atoms? Or maybe I should be thinking nuclear oscillations...In other words, the wave function of what?

Physics news on Phys.org
electrons? protons?...

what exactly is oscillating in an atom or molecule?

Donn P said:
What is being discussed when frequency is used to describe atoms? Or maybe I should be thinking nuclear oscillations...In other words, the wave function of what?

electrons? protons?...

what exactly is oscillating in an atom or molecule?
You cannot have "spin" without "frequency".
Just as Earth cannot have "rotation" or "orbit" without the cycle period of “day” and “year”.

As to “what exactly is oscillating in an atom”

I’m sure IF you can find or provide an exact and complete description of what an atom is; any on this forum would gladly point out “what exactly is oscillating”.

Actually I’m also sure that only doing so for the attribute of “Spin” would be enough to find the answer you seek.

I’m just as sure you will not be able to find or provide such a description.
Science “knows” spin is there, but no one really “knows” what it is to give an “exact” answer.

classically, the electron is said to be rotating around the nucleus, but this yields radioactive decay and electrons spiraling into nuclii almost instantly. but the model is still used in some contexts for the easiest explanation of some phenomena.

once you start talking about optics and the ability of atoms to oscilate when driven by EM waves, then there is some sense in oscilating atoms.

there is also vibration and rotation modes of excitation, both of which have a type of frequency, and thus oscilation.

you can also imagine an atom repeatedly excited, and electrons producing photons with some regularity... so many emmisions per second or something

thanks for the insight

1. What is the frequency of atomic oscillations?

The frequency of atomic oscillations depends on the energy levels of the atoms and can range from a few terahertz to hundreds of terahertz. This frequency is also known as the resonant frequency of the atom.

2. How are nuclear oscillations different from atomic oscillations?

Nuclear oscillations involve the movement of particles within the nucleus of an atom, while atomic oscillations involve the movement of electrons around the nucleus. Nuclear oscillations have a much lower frequency compared to atomic oscillations.

3. What is the role of the wave function in atomic oscillations?

The wave function describes the probability of finding an electron at a particular location around the nucleus. In atomic oscillations, the wave function helps determine the energy levels and frequencies of the oscillations.

4. How do atomic oscillations affect the properties of materials?

Atomic oscillations play a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of materials. The frequency and energy levels of the oscillations determine properties such as electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and magnetic properties.

5. Can atomic oscillations be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, atomic oscillations can be controlled and manipulated using external forces such as electric and magnetic fields. This is the basis of technologies such as lasers, which use controlled atomic oscillations to generate coherent light.