Atomic partons?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Let us consider an atomic orbital, for example n=2, l=1, m=0 in Hydrogen. The probability plot is given in the figure attached. This picture can be obtained experimentally: via X-ray and elastic electron scattering. Each negative sub-cloud carries a fractional charge. Fortunately, we have quantum mechanics to explain it but if the scattering experiments had been carried out before QM establishing, would we have advanced a parton-like hypothesis for atoms?

I do not know if it would be correct to consider each sub-cloud as an "elementary" particle with a fractional charge. Do you?

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
It's no more correct than to say that the left half of the 1s distribution has charge 1/2 and the right half also has charge 1/2.

I did not understand your phrase.

I wanted to say that considering each sub-cloud as originating from some elementary particles (atomic partons) would be misleading.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Dividing the orbital into "subclouds" is imposing your sense of pattern recognition on it. There's nothing whatsoever like a particle with fractional charge.

This pattern can be observed experimentally, can't it?

Why we advance a parton model for protons? Following the experimental pattern.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Bob, this is silly. An electron has charge -1. The fact that it has a probability distribution doesn't mean anything has a factional charge.

Bob, this is silly. An electron has charge -1. The fact that it has a probability distribution doesn't mean anything has a factional charge.
I completely agree with you. Concerning atoms, I speak of a purely hypothetical situation. But it is similar to the deep inelastic scattering interpretation, isn't it?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
No Bob, it has nothing whatsoever to do with fractional charge and DIS.

I have answered your question four times now. This thread is done.