Resolving Atomic Physics Problem: Minimum Proton Distance in Gold Leaf

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum distance that a 1 MeV proton bundle can approach to the core of a gold atom when colliding. The solution is 1.14 x 10^-13 m. The solution is found using the conservation of energy formula, where the initial kinetic energy is equal to the final potential energy. The potential energy is calculated using the Coulomb force equation.
Fabio010
I am going to try traduce the problem in the best way i can.

What is the minimum distance that protons of a 1 MeV bundle that collides in a gold leaf
can approach to the atom core.

Solution: 1.14 x 10-13 m

I am posting these problem because i do not have any idea how to start it. So please, do not delete this post because i do not have any attempt to solution. I searched in lot of places and i am not seeing what is the formula to resolve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fabio010 said:

What is the minimum distance that protons of a 1 MeV bundle that collides in a gold leaf

I am posting these problem because i do not have any idea how to start it. So please, do not delete this post because i do not have any attempt to solution. I searched in lot of places and i am not seeing what is the formula to resolve this problem.

How about energy conservation !
initial KE of proton is known ... final KE of system is 0

And what is the point of know the kinetic energy of proton?

Fabio010 said:
And what is the point of know the kinetic energy of proton?

What? i can't get you ...

I am not understanding why i need to now KE (i think is kinetic energy) of proton?

Fabio010 said:

What do you understand about this problem?

Can you calculated the velocity of a 1MeV proton?

I know how to calculate a velocity of 1MeV proton by the equation E = 0.5mv^2 (i think)

but why should i need to know the velocity?

Fabio010 said:
I know how to calculate a velocity of 1MeV proton by the equation E = 0.5mv^2 (i think)

but why should i need to know the velocity?

You don't need velocity ... You just need Kinetic energy ... (but yes do convert it into SI)

Then use energy conservation ... for the system ...

PS: Happy New Year

Last edited:
Imagine you give a push to a book lying on the table. It moves towards the edge but slows down along its path. If the speed is lost completely, the book does not get closer to the edge any more. The minimum distance the book approaches the edge of the table is the distance of the point where it stopped.

ehild

So, ok we know that

1Mev = (1*10^6eV) * (1.6 * 10^-19 C) = 1.6 * 10^-13 J

We know that in final point KE of proton is 0.Ok So ΔK = 1.6 * 10^-13 J KE conservation.

W, as we know = ΔK

so F = W*d

F = mg (i think) = proton mass * gravity acceleration = 1.64*-26N (this because of imagining the push)d = F/W = 1.02*-13?

Is that correct?? because i think not

Last edited:
Fabio010 said:
So, ok we know that

1Mev = (1*10^6eV) * (1.6 * 10^-19 C) = 1.6 * 10^-13 J

We know that in final point KE of proton is 0.

Ok So ΔK = 1.6 * 10^-13 J KE conservation.

W, as we know = ΔK

so F = W*d

F = mg (i think) = proton mass * gravity acceleration = 1.64*-26N (this because of imagining the push)

d = F/W = 1.02*-13?

Is that correct?? because i think not
Well you can't use mg here because mg is not the repelling or working force here.its the coulomb force doing the work.
And you can't use coulomb force directly too because its not constant but keeps changing.

That is why is suggested using energy conservation, ie

Kinitial + Uinitial = Kfinal + Ufinal

Fabio010 said:
What is the minimum distance that protons of a 1 MeV bundle that collides in a gold leaf can approach to the atom core.
But i just noticed ... initial distance b/w proton and gold is not specified ...
either you left some part of question or I'm missing out on some concept ...

cupid.callin said:
But i just noticed ... initial distance b/w proton and gold is not specified ...
either you left some part of question or I'm missing out on some concept ...

The proton starts from a greater distance, where the Coulomb force of the gold nucleus is screened by the electron cloud, so the starting potential energy is zero, like in infinity. The potential energy changes mainly when the proton is near to the nucleus, closer than the radius of the first electron shell.

ehild

ehild said:
The proton starts from a greater distance, where the Coulomb force of the gold nucleus is screened by the electron cloud, so the starting potential energy is zero, like in infinity. The potential energy changes mainly when the proton is near to the nucleus, closer than the radius of the first electron shell.

ehild

But then there's very less energy and its coming from a very huge distance. I don't think closost distance would be of order of 10-13m

This problem is a simple application of the conservation of energy. Initially, the proton has a KE of 1MeV and an Electrical PE of 0. Finally, the proton has a KE of 0 and an Electrical PE defined by:

[tex]PE = \frac{q_1q_2}{4{\pi}{\epsilon_0}r}[/tex]

where q1 is proton charge (equal to e, the electron charge), q2 is the positive charge of the gold nucleus (depends upon the number of protons in it, which can easily be looked up). [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] is the permittivity of vaccuum, which can also be easily looked up. r is the minimum closing distance (which is to be determined).

That expression has to be equated to 1MeV. I would advise against converting to J (joules), because one of the 'e's can easily be canceled out.

This problem is simple, and there are tons of simplifying assumptions, but all the same, I wonder if we're entirely justified in completely neglecting the electron cloud?

cupid.callin said:
But then there's very less energy and its coming from a very huge distance. I don't think closost distance would be of order of 10-13m

The proton comes from an accelerator and the gold leaf is a few mm or cm from the accelerator exit. Outside the gold film, the Coulomb potential is zero, so the total energy of the proton is kinetic.
At the closest approach, the total energy is electric potential energy.
We suppose that no dissipative interaction With the electrons takes place, as the atom is almost empty. Then the total energy transforms into the electric potential energy, and it results in the closest approach of about 10-13 m.

To illustrate an atom’s structure, we can imagine enlarging it until the nucleus is the size of a bean. With its bean-sized nucleus, the entire atom is now as big as a soccer stadium, and the electron is a flea-sized spectator frantically whizzing around somewhere in the stands.
http://physicaplus.org.il/zope/home/1223030912/god_particle_en/?skin=print

The image shows the typical sizes of atom and nucleus.

sat117002_0401.gif

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
ehild said:
The proton comes from an accelerator and the gold leaf is a few mm or cm from the accelerator exit. Outside the gold film, the Coulomb potential is zero, so the total energy of the proton is kinetic.
At the closest approach, the total energy is electric potential energy.
We suppose that no dissipative interaction With the electrons takes place, as the atom is almost empty. Then the total energy transforms into the electric potential energy, and it results in the closest approach of about 10-13 m.

http://physicaplus.org.il/zope/home/1223030912/god_particle_en/?skin=print

The image shows the typical sizes of atom and nucleus.
sat117002_0401.gif

ehild

Hi ehild
Nice figure! Did you make that? on which software?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok people thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is the minimum distance between protons in a gold leaf?

The minimum distance between protons in a gold leaf, also known as the nuclear spacing, is approximately 1.7 x 10^-15 meters. This distance is determined by the size of the gold nucleus and the number of protons it contains.

2. How is the minimum proton distance in gold leaf determined?

The minimum proton distance in gold leaf is determined through experiments using techniques such as x-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. These methods allow scientists to measure the spacing between atoms and calculate the minimum distance between protons.

3. What is the significance of the minimum proton distance in gold leaf?

The minimum proton distance in gold leaf is significant because it helps us understand the structure and properties of matter at the atomic level. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability and behavior of gold atoms.

4. How does the minimum proton distance in gold leaf compare to other elements?

The minimum proton distance in gold leaf is relatively large compared to other elements. This is because gold has a larger atomic number and therefore more protons in its nucleus, resulting in a greater nuclear spacing.

5. Can the minimum proton distance in gold leaf be changed?

The minimum proton distance in gold leaf is a fundamental property of the element and cannot be changed. However, it can be altered in certain conditions, such as extreme temperatures or pressures, which can affect the overall structure of the gold atoms.