Atomic physics sodium question

In summary, 1 million sodium atoms are initially excited to the 3p state at t=0s, with a lifetime of 17ns. At t=10ns, 555,000 atoms remain in the 3p state. From t=0s to t=30ns, 828,763 photons are emitted as 828,763 atoms undergo a quantum jump from the 3p state to the 3s state.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

1x10^6 sodium atoms are excited to the 3p state at t=0s. The lifetime of the 3p state is 17ns.

a.how many of these atoms remain in the 3p state at t=10ns?
b.how many photons have been emitted from t=0s to t=30ns?

Homework Equations

N=Noe^(-t/[tex]\tau[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

a. N=1x10^6*e^(-10ns/17ns)=5.55x10^5 sodium atoms
b. N=1x10^6*e^(-30ns/17ns)=171237 sodium atoms
thus N-No=828763 sodium atoms undergo quantum jump during the first 30ns, each of these atoms emits a photon, thus 828763 photons are emitted.

Im not sure if these are correct, but can't find where I've gone wrong, is it ok to do it like that and that the fact that the 17ns lifetime... doesn't have any effect on the 30ns... please can someone confirm that I am right or help me where i have gone wrong thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
fredrick08 said:

Homework Statement

1x10^6 sodium atoms are excited to the 3p state at t=0s. The lifetime of the 3p state is 17ns.

a.how many of these atoms remain in the 3p state at t=10ns?
b.how many photons have been emitted from t=0s to t=30ns?

Homework Equations

N=Noe^(-t/[tex]\tau[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

a. N=1x10^6*e^(-10ns/17ns)=5.55x10^5 sodium atoms
b. N=1x10^6*e^(-30ns/17ns)=171237 sodium atoms
thus N-No=828763 sodium atoms undergo quantum jump during the first 30ns, each of these atoms emits a photon, thus 828763 photons are emitted.

Im not sure if these are correct, but can't find where I've gone wrong, is it ok to do it like that and that the fact that the 17ns lifetime... doesn't have any effect on the 30ns... please can someone confirm that I am right or help me where i have gone wrong thanks.

The lifetime here I believe is the mean lifetime. Results in nature may vary over a set of 106.

The equations you've set up look ok to me. Assuming only 1 photon is available in the 3p of each to go to the 3s, then your answer would seem to be good.

Yes, there is only one photon "available" to go from 3p to 3s. More precisely, the Na atom could also decay by emitting 3 photons (each with roughly a third of the energy difference between 3p and 3s), but that process is much much much less likely.

I would deduct points though for using way too many digits in your answer.

ok then thanks very much for ur help

1. What is the atomic structure of sodium?

Sodium has an atomic number of 11, meaning it has 11 protons in its nucleus and 11 electrons orbiting around the nucleus. Its atomic mass is approximately 23 atomic mass units.

2. How many energy levels does a sodium atom have?

A sodium atom has 3 energy levels, with 2 electrons in the first energy level, 8 electrons in the second energy level, and 1 electron in the third energy level.

3. What is the ground state electron configuration of a sodium atom?

The ground state electron configuration of a sodium atom is 1s^22s^22p^63s^1.

4. What is the significance of the atomic number and mass of sodium?

The atomic number of sodium determines its place in the periodic table and its chemical properties, while the atomic mass is the total mass of all the particles in the atom, including protons, neutrons, and electrons. It also plays a role in determining the chemical reactivity of sodium.

5. What are some common uses of sodium in atomic physics?

Sodium is commonly used in atomic clocks, which use the precise vibration of sodium atoms to keep time. It is also used in the production of sodium vapor lamps, which are used for street lights and other forms of lighting. Sodium is also used in nuclear reactors as a coolant and in the production of various compounds and alloys.