Atomic and Nuclear Radii Evidence: An Overview of Size Scales in Atomic Physics

In summary, the evidence for atomic radii being about 10^-10m comes from Niels Bohr's work in 1913, where he introduced the concept of quantization of radial distance between the proton and electron in the hydrogen atom. This allows for an infinite number of values for the atomic radius, with the first Bohr radius being the most significant for the hydrogen atom. On the other hand, for nuclear radii being about 10^-14m, the Rutherford scattering model can be used to determine the radius of the scattering nucleon by applying the law of energy conservation and assuming a fixed nucleon with a Coulomb-type potential for scattering. This model was first proposed by Sir Ernest Rutherford and provides evidence for the
briton
Describe briefly one piece of evidence for each of the following statements.
i) Atomic radii are about 10^-10m

ii) Nuclear radii are about 10^-14m

Each part is worth 4 marks, so I would really appreciate if someone could reply with some slightly easy to understand, but quite detailed points.

Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
briton said:
Describe briefly one piece of evidence for each of the following statements.
i) Atomic radii are about 10^-10m

ii) Nuclear radii are about 10^-14m

Each part is worth 4 marks, so I would really appreciate if someone could reply with some slightly easy to understand, but quite detailed points.

Thankyou.

1.For the first part,i guess that,historically,the first to get a value for the atom radius of the H atom was Niels Bohr in 1913.Yet,he said that there wasn't only one value for this number,but an infinity.It's the famous eq.of radial distance (between the proton and the electron) quantization.
In the terms of QM,the concept of "atomic radius" loses segnificance,but one can define it as the distance to the nucleus at which the probability of finding the lousy electron (for the H atom) is maximum.For more atoms,it's not that simple,since it wouldn't work.For the H atom,that number is exactly the first Bohr radius.
2.The Rutherford scattering model should provide u with a radius of the scattering nucleon.Apply the law of energy conservation.Assume the nucleon is fix (has amuch greater mas than the incoming alpha particle) and the potential of scaterring is Coulomb type.

Daniel;
EDIT:I KNEW IT WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH SIR ERNEST RUTHERFORD :tongue2:

Last edited:

1. What is atomic physics?

Atomic physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of atoms. It focuses on the structure of atoms, the interactions between atoms, and the energy and forces involved in these interactions.

2. What is the structure of an atom?

An atom is made up of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in shells or energy levels. The number of protons in the nucleus determines the element, while the number of electrons determines the atom's charge and chemical properties.

3. How are atoms held together?

Atoms are held together by the strong nuclear force, which binds the protons and neutrons in the nucleus, and the electromagnetic force, which attracts the negatively charged electrons to the positively charged nucleus.

4. What is the significance of atomic physics?

Atomic physics is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions, which in turn has led to many practical applications such as nuclear power, medical imaging, and nanotechnology.

5. What are some famous experiments in atomic physics?

Some famous experiments in atomic physics include the Rutherford gold foil experiment, which discovered the atomic nucleus, and the double-slit experiment, which demonstrated the wave-like behavior of particles such as electrons.