Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic radii for pictures.

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1

Gold Member

Hi all,

What are the common atomic radii that are used for drawing chemical pictures?

Is it the ionic or calculated or?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Whatever, as far as I am aware there are no set rules. There is some obvious logic that you can apply, but as long as your pictures are not drawn to be a scientific tool (like DNA models built by Watson and Crick) you don't have to pay too much attention to it. Just be consistent.
  4. Sep 18, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

My program uses (for its default ball-and-stick mode) half the covalent radii. (vdW radii look a bit too chunky). Most programs use something similar. (To the extent I sometimes see papers with images that might have been made with my program, but I can't be sure) "Spacefill" models would be around the full covalent radius, or slightly larger.

It's not like the spheres in these pictures have much in the way of physical meaning; you're only drawing the structure.
    If you want to say something about orbitals or bonding or electron densities, then that's what you plot, not ball-and-stick models.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook