Atomic Structure: Uncovering the Nucleon of Chlorine 35.5

In summary, the difference between atomic mass and atomic weight of an element is that atomic mass is the mass of 1 atom comprising of its protons, neutrons and electrons, while atomic weight is the average mass of all the atoms of an element that exist to 1/12 of the mass of an atom of Carbon - 12.
Jadaav
I got a question :

Why is the nucleon of Chlorine 35.5 ? Why is is not a whole number ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
35.5 is not an atomic mass, it is atomic weight of the element.

What's the difference between atomic mass and atomic weight of an element ?

Have you ever heard about google and wikipedia?

Yeah, I searched in Wikipedia.

And you still don't know what is a difference between the two? Can you quote or write - in your own words - one line definitions of both?

Atomic mass is the mass of 1 atom comprising of its protons, neutrons and electrons.

Atomic weight is the average mass of all the atoms of an element that exist to 1/12 of the mass of an atom of Carbon - 12.

Am I right here ?

Wikipedia says this:

"The atomic mass is the total mass of protons, neutrons and electrons in a single atom (when the atom is motionless)"

Why does it specify when the atom is motionless ? Does it make a difference if its in motion ?

"Atomic weight (symbol: Ar) is a dimensionless physical quantity,..."

What is a dimensionless physical quantity ?

Last edited:
Jadaav said:
Am I right here ?

Yes.

Now, get back to your question and see if you can answer it.

Why does it specify when the atom is motionless ? Does it make a difference if its in motion?

Yes - moving objects get heavier (although for the effect to be observable their speed must be real high). Google for "relativistic mass".

What is a dimensionless physical quantity ?

One that has no units. Mass has units of kg (pound, stone...), length has units of m (feet, cable...), atomic weight has no units.

Now I got the answer to my question. It is not a whole number because it is the average mass of the element. When making averages, we often encounter decimals.

Wasn't that hard :smile:

Yeah, thanks to you:smile:

What is atomic structure?

Atomic structure refers to the composition and arrangement of particles within an atom. This includes the nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and the electron cloud, which contains electrons.

What is the nucleus of an atom?

The nucleus of an atom is the central part that contains most of the atom's mass. It is made up of positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, held together by strong nuclear forces.

What is the significance of Chlorine 35.5 in atomic structure?

Chlorine 35.5 is a specific isotope of chlorine, meaning it has a different number of neutrons than the most common form of chlorine. This is significant because it demonstrates the existence of isotopes and the variability of atomic structure within an element.

How is the nuclear structure of Chlorine 35.5 uncovered?

The nuclear structure of Chlorine 35.5 can be uncovered through various methods, such as nuclear reactions and spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the energy levels and arrangement of particles within the nucleus.

What is the importance of understanding atomic structure?

Understanding atomic structure is crucial in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It allows us to predict and control the properties and behavior of matter, as well as develop new technologies and applications.