Atomic Structure: Explaining n=6 Shell & Largest Angular Momentum Quantum Number

In summary, the largest angular momentum quantum number in the n=6 shell is 5 and the maximum number of electrons that can be put in this shell is 72. This is determined by considering all the possible values of "l" and "m" and taking into account the independent spin states.
Physicsiscool
I need a plain & simple explanation of atomic structure. For example, if I was to consider the n = 6 shell, what would be the largest angular momentum quantum number and how many electrons can be put in this shell?

Thanks for your insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsiscool said:
I need a plain & simple explanation of atomic structure. For example, if I was to consider the n = 6 shell, what would be the largest angular momentum quantum number and how many electrons can be put in this shell?

Thanks for your insight!

If n=6,l can have 6 values:0,1,2,3,4,5.Each of the "m"-s goes from -l->+l.And afer considering all possibilities for "m",multiply by 2 for each independent spin state. ("up"/"down").
n=6,l=0,m can only be 0 So u can have 2 electrons:eek:ne with spin up and one with spin down.
n=6,l=1,m can have 3 values:m=1,0-1.So u have 6 electrons in all.
n=6,l=2,m can have 5 values:m=2,...,-2.So u have 10 electrons in all.
n=6,l=3,m can have 7 values:m=3,...,-3.So u have 14 electrons in all.
n=6,l=4,m can have 9 values:m=4,...,-4.So u have 18 electrons in all.
n=6,l=5,m can have 11 values:m=5,...,-5.So u have 22 electrons in all.

The number of all electrons is:2+6+10+14+18+22=72.

Atomic structure refers to the arrangement of subatomic particles within an atom. Atoms are made up of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and electrons that orbit the nucleus in different energy levels or shells. The n=6 shell refers to the sixth energy level or shell in an atom, with n representing the principal quantum number.

The largest angular momentum quantum number in the n=6 shell is l=5. This quantum number determines the shape of the electron orbitals within the shell. The l value can range from 0 to n-1, so for the n=6 shell, the largest possible l value is 5.

The number of electrons that can be placed in the n=6 shell depends on the type of atom. Each energy level can hold a maximum number of electrons, with the formula 2n^2, where n is the principal quantum number. Therefore, the n=6 shell can hold a maximum of 2(6)^2 = 72 electrons.

I hope this helps to explain the atomic structure and the n=6 shell. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the n=6 shell in atomic structure?

The n=6 shell is the sixth energy level or principal quantum number in atomic structure. It is also known as the P shell and can hold a maximum of 18 electrons.

2. How does the n=6 shell differ from the previous shells?

The n=6 shell has a higher energy level and can hold more electrons compared to the previous shells. It also has a larger atomic radius, meaning the electrons in this shell are further away from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the largest angular momentum quantum number in the n=6 shell?

The largest angular momentum quantum number, also known as the azimuthal quantum number or l, determines the shape of the electron's orbital within the n=6 shell. It can have a value of 0 to 5, and each value corresponds to a specific orbital shape.

4. How does the n=6 shell contribute to the stability of an atom?

The n=6 shell, along with the other shells, contributes to the stability of an atom by providing energy levels for the electrons to occupy. This helps to maintain a balance of attractive and repulsive forces within the atom, making it more stable.

5. Can the n=6 shell hold more than 18 electrons?

No, the maximum number of electrons that can be held in the n=6 shell is 18. This follows the maximum electron capacity rule, which states that the maximum number of electrons in a shell is equal to 2n2, where n is the principal quantum number.