Atomic Structure: Why Don't Protons Repel Each Other?

In summary, the protons in the nucleus of an atom do repel each other, but this is balanced out by a strong force that is over a hundred times more powerful. This strong force keeps the protons clustered together and prevents them from separating. Additionally, there are other particles in the nucleus besides protons, which also play a role in keeping the nucleus stable.
watts up?
If like charges repel each other, what keeps the protons clustered in the nucleus of the atom from separating ? and why wouldn't the electrons with a negative charge pull them out from the nucleus ?

Physics news on Phys.org
watts up? said:
If like charges repel each other, what keeps the protons clustered in the nucleus of the atom from separating ?

There are 2 forces at work in the nucleus, one of them is stronger than the other ... can you name them and which is stronger ?
what else is in the nucleus besides the Proton(s), and how does that affect things ?

Dave

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Protons actually do repel electromagnetically. However, this is "evened out" with a strong force, which is said to be over a hundred times more powerful than the electromagnetic force.

http://aether.lbl.gov/elements/stellar/strong/strong.html
Was hoping the Op would make an effort to research that
please don't be so quick with full answers :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
davenn said:
Was hoping the Op would make an effort to research that
please don't be so quick with full answers :smile:
Sorry for that, Dave ... I can no longer delete the post, either :sorry:

I think my teachers get a bit irritated with that, too, sometimes :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Sorry for that, Dave ... I can no longer delete the post, either :sorry:

I think my teachers get a bit irritated with that, too, sometimes :smile:

no probs, just keep it in mind :smile: Dave

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

1. How do protons stay together in the nucleus if they have positive charges that should repel each other?

Protons are held together in the nucleus by strong nuclear force, which is stronger than the electromagnetic force that causes repulsion between positively charged particles. This force is mediated by particles called gluons, which bind the protons together.

2. Why don't protons repel each other with the same force as they attract electrons?

The force between protons is actually stronger than the force between protons and electrons. However, the distance between protons in the nucleus is much smaller than the distance between the nucleus and electrons, making the force between protons less noticeable.

3. How do neutrons play a role in preventing protons from repelling each other?

Neutrons do not have a charge, so they do not contribute to the repulsion between protons. However, they do contribute to the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus together, helping to balance out the repulsive forces between protons.

4. Can protons actually repel each other under certain conditions?

Yes, protons can repel each other under certain conditions. For example, when two atoms come close to each other, the repulsion between their positively charged nuclei can overcome the attractive force between their electrons, leading to repulsion between the atoms.

5. How does the number of protons affect the stability of an atom?

The number of protons, or atomic number, determines the element and its properties. As the number of protons increases, so does the number of electrons, which determines the atom's chemical behavior. However, too many protons can cause instability, leading to radioactive decay in some elements.