Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic symbols

  1. Jun 20, 2006 #1
    I am trying to complete some chem homework in microsoft word, but I need to write the atomic symbols. Is there any way I can write the mass number over the atomic number. Can I use sub and super script at the same time in the same place?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I don't know if you can do it in terms of basic text in Word but you could import some images.

    You can copy/paste them from here (Not sure if it will work though because of the anti-aliasing)--Although I don't think PF has any problem with you copying/pasting images, please don't hotlink the image onto another website.


    Or if you want to remove the italics:


    Edit: I just tried it and for some reason Word inverts the colors.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  4. Jun 20, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Microsoft equation editor ought to do the job for you.

    Tools-> insert -> Microsoft Equation editor 3
  5. Jun 20, 2006 #4


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Wow I never even knew that existed.

    By the way, I guess tools/insert is for Word XP. For 2000, it's Insert/Object/[Create New]-Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook