Atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another

In summary, friction produces heat. Friction is caused by the interaction of two objects. One object rubs against the other, and this causes the objects to become electrically charged. This creates a force called static friction, which is what causes the heat.
benzun_1999
dear reader,
what is happening to the atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another?

-benzun

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weak chemical bonds are forming and being broken repeatedly between atoms near or on the surfaces of the materials.

- Warren

and

in some cases a few electrons are dragged off of one object by the other object causing the two objects to be electrostatically charged.

Only a few of the atoms in the entire material will gain or lose an electron (if any at all). None of the atoms are moved (not significantly at least).

Originally posted by Chi Meson
and

Only a few of the atoms in the entire material will gain or lose an electron (if any at all). None of the atoms are moved (not significantly at least).

Have you seen tyre wear on a racing motorcycle? Surely this is 'significant' removal of atoms? (Or am I being pedantic?)

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
Have you seen tyre wear on a racing motorcycle? Surely this is 'significant' removal of atoms? (Or am I being pedantic?)
Atoms can be removed BECAUSE OF high static friction, but the removal isn't part of the friction itself, its a biproduct. The static friction force would be higher in that case than the force holding the tire together. Kinda nitpicky, but there is a difference.

Yeah, what he said!

Actually, I thought it was a good and valid comment, and it was taking me a while to come back with an answer, but Russ's answer was better than mine!

Not sure about the validity, but with the amount I spend on tyres I kinda feel it is significant!

according to your answer...the electrons are dragged the item and are possitely or negatively charged, but also many items act differently due to polar covalent bonding, where a compound electronegativety acts as a charge where as the substance is slightly positive as well as slightly negative...they product of reaction occurs for whatever part has the greater negativity...I think...lol

hey...

How is heat produced due to friction? what has electromagnetic wave got to do with it?

1. What is the significance of atoms and electrons when one object is rubbed on another?

When one object is rubbed on another, it causes friction between the two surfaces. This friction results in the transfer of electrons between the atoms of the two surfaces, creating a static charge. This static charge can cause objects to attract or repel each other.

2. How are atoms and electrons related?

Atoms are composed of three types of particles: protons, neutrons, and electrons. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have a neutral charge, and electrons have a negative charge. These charges determine how atoms interact with each other, and the movement of electrons between atoms is what creates electricity.

3. How do atoms and electrons play a role in static electricity?

Static electricity is created when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges on the surface of an object. When two objects are rubbed together, electrons are transferred between them, causing one object to become positively charged and the other to become negatively charged. This imbalance of charges is what creates static electricity.

4. Can atoms and electrons be seen?

No, atoms and electrons cannot be seen with the naked eye. They are much too small to be seen, even with the most powerful microscopes. Scientists use special tools and techniques, such as scanning electron microscopes, to observe and study atoms and electrons.

5. How do atoms and electrons behave when one object is rubbed on another?

When one object is rubbed on another, the atoms and electrons of the two surfaces interact with each other. Depending on the materials and the amount of friction, electrons may be transferred between the two surfaces, creating a static charge. This can cause the objects to either attract or repel each other, depending on the charges of the two surfaces.