Atoms & Ions Radius: Arranging in Order of Increasing Radius

In summary, the atoms and ions are arranged in the order of increasing radius as O, Cl, K+, S-2, K. This is due to the number of protons in each particle, which act as a magnet and attract the electrons closer to the nucleus. Since S-2 has 16 protons and needs to attract 18 electrons, the electrons are further away from the nucleus compared to K+ where 19 protons attract only 18 electrons. Therefore, S-2 has a larger radius compared to K+. However, both K+ and S-2 have the same radius as they have the same number of protons. This arrangement is based on the understanding that the larger the number of protons, the smaller
msdel
I am to arrange the following atoms or ions in order of increasing radius...then give an explanation for the position of S2- in relation to the atoms or ions that come before or after it.

Here is what i have so far...in order of increasing radius.

K+
K
O
S2-
Cl

Now I am not sure what they are looking for in an explanation on the rest.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What's your reasoning ?

Hey msdel,

I think you made a small mistake in arranging the particles in the increasing order of their radius. According to me, it should be :
O
Cl
S2- / K+ ( of the same order )
K

This is according to my knowledge. Any criticism is definitely welcome. Thanks.

Neha Sanghvi said:
Hey msdel,

I think you made a small mistake in arranging the particles in the increasing order of their radius. According to me, it should be :
O
Cl
S2- / K+ ( of the same order )
K

This is according to my knowledge. Any criticism is definitely welcome. Thanks.
I am inexperienced with this topic aswell,
but i just want to propose something...
Since S-2 has 16 protons and needs to attract 18 electrons, the electrons are further away from the nucleus than they would be in the case of the Potassium ion K+ where 19 protons need to attract 18 electrons. The protons act as a magnet, and attract the electrons closer to the nucleus.

Can anyone correct me, or contradict me? or am i right...

My Answer:

O, Cl, K+, S -2, K

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is made up of a nucleus, which contains positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

2. How is the radius of an atom determined?

The radius of an atom is determined by the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron shell. This distance is influenced by the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in the atom.

3. What is the trend in atomic radius across the periodic table?

The atomic radius generally decreases from left to right across a period. This is because as you move from left to right, the number of protons and electrons increases, resulting in a stronger attractive force pulling the electrons closer to the nucleus.

4. How do ions affect atomic radius?

Ions are atoms that have gained or lost electrons, resulting in a change in their overall charge. When an atom loses an electron, it becomes a positively charged ion and its radius decreases. Conversely, when an atom gains an electron, it becomes a negatively charged ion and its radius increases.

5. How is the trend in ionic radius different from atomic radius?

The trend in ionic radius is similar to that of atomic radius, with ions decreasing in size from left to right across a period. However, within a group, the trend is opposite. As you move down a group, both atomic and ionic radii increase due to the addition of new electron shells.