Atoms contained in a human body

In summary, there is no definitive answer to whether two people with the same weight have the same number of atoms in their bodies. It is dependent on the exact composition of each person's body, which can vary. However, you can estimate the average number of atoms by looking at the average atomic composition of a human body and using that to calculate the number of atoms. This can give a rough estimate, but for a more accurate approximation, the specific composition of each person's body would need to be known. Additionally, factors such as body proportions and composition of soft tissue versus bone can also affect the number of atoms per kilogram.
corochena
Given two people of different complexion, one short and chubby and the other one tall and thin, but same weight (180 lbs each):

a> Do they have the same number of atoms in their bodies

b> If not, will the percent difference be significant?

c>Is there a way to know an estimate of this number (number of atoms in a human body)?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to reliably figure this out without knowing the exact composition of every single cell in someones body. Just because 2 people weigh the same doesn't mean that they have the same number of atoms. One may have more carbon atoms than the other while the other may have more Hydrogen. I'd say just find an "average" amount for a person and use that.

You can estimate the order of magnitude of the average number of atoms.
If you want a better approximation, you can look up the average atomic composition of a human body and then estimate for each type of atom.

A table with the atomic composition is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body
According to this table oxygen, carbon and nitrogen together make 86% of the body.
The atomic masses are 16, 12 and 14. Taking an "average" of 15 kg/kmol and a mass of 60 kg, the number of atoms will be

[tex] N= \frac{60}{15} N_{Avogadro}= 4 \cdot 6\times 10^{26} [/tex] atoms
or about [tex]10^{27} [/tex] atoms.

Last edited:
nasu said:
[tex] N= \frac{60}{15} N_{Avogadro}= 4 \cdot 6\times 10^{26} [/tex] atoms
or about [tex]10^{27} [/tex] atoms.

4 moles? You left out a factor x1000.

alxm said:
4 moles? You left out a factor x1000.

No, 4 kmoles. I used Avogadro's number in kmol^(-1)1 and the kilomoles/kg for average "molar mass".
I did not let out a factor of 1000.

Alternatively you can take the mass of person in grams and calculate in mols:

60,000/4 *6x10^23

which gives, of course, the same order of magnitude, 10^27.

Sorry I did not put explicitly all the units.

Last edited:
I'd think that soft tissue would be mostly H, O, C and N atoms whereas bone would have more of the heavier elements like P and Ca. For this reason I'd say the the person with proportionately more soft tissue and less bone would have the largest number of atoms per kg. This I think would mean that the taller thinner person would have less atoms and the more portly person would have more atoms per kg.

1. How many atoms are present in the human body?

The average adult human body is estimated to contain around 7 octillion (7 followed by 27 zeros) atoms.

2. What elements make up the majority of atoms in the human body?

The majority of atoms in the human body are oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen, which make up about 96% of the total atoms present.

3. Can atoms in the human body be destroyed?

Atoms cannot be destroyed, they can only be rearranged or combined with other atoms to form different molecules.

4. How do atoms in the human body maintain their structure?

The atoms in the human body maintain their structure through strong chemical bonds between their electrons. These bonds hold the atoms together and give them stability.

5. Do the number of atoms in a human body change over time?

The number of atoms in a human body remains relatively constant throughout a person's lifetime. However, atoms are constantly being exchanged through processes like breathing, eating, and metabolism.