Exploring Entanglement: Properties and Possibilities in Quantum Atoms

In summary: This statistical uncertainty is what determines if the entanglement is perfect or not. As the particles move apart, this uncertainty increases and the entanglement decreases. In some cases, the entanglement may become so degraded that it is no longer considered entangled with high fidelity.
idea2000
Hi,

I read this article on quantum entanglement of beryllium atoms:

http://www.physorg.com/news80396930.html

I have read other similar articles on the entanglement of photons and I understand that the spin of two photons can become entangled.

My question is, when two atoms become entangled, what properties of the two atoms are entangled? So far, the only articles that I've read have to do with the spin becoming entangled. In general, what other properties can become entangled? Can any quantum state become entangled?

Another related question
In the article above, it mentions that some pairs can become perfectly entangled, whereas others are not entangled with "high fidelity". It also talks about atoms being entangled with higher purity and the link between the two particles degrading as they move apart. It seems from the reading the article that a pair of particles can be somewhat entangled, but not quite entangled. How can a pair of particles become entangled, but not quite entangled?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
idea2000 said:
My question is, when two atoms become entangled, what properties of the two atoms are entangled? So far, the only articles that I've read have to do with the spin becoming entangled. In general, what other properties can become entangled? Can any quantum state become entangled?
Yes, any quantum property can be entangled. Entanglement (for two particles) simply means that is is not possible to write a two-particle state as a product of single-particle states. In that way, the state of each particle is dependent on the state of the other.

idea2000 said:
In the article above, it mentions that some pairs can become perfectly entangled, whereas others are not entangled with "high fidelity". It also talks about atoms being entangled with higher purity and the link between the two particles degrading as they move apart. It seems from the reading the article that a pair of particles can be somewhat entangled, but not quite entangled. How can a pair of particles become entangled, but not quite entangled?
The atoms can not only be in pure states, but also in mixed states, with some statistical uncertainty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_state#Mixed_states

1. What is entanglement in quantum physics?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by a large distance. This means that any change in the state of one particle will instantly affect the state of the other, regardless of how far apart they are.

2. How is entanglement measured?

Entanglement is measured using a mathematical concept called quantum correlation. This involves analyzing the relationship between the measurements of two entangled particles and comparing it to the predictions of classical physics. If the measurements show a higher degree of correlation than classical physics would suggest, then entanglement is present.

3. Can entanglement be observed in everyday objects?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that can only be observed at the quantum level. This is because it is a property of particles and their interactions, and everyday objects are made up of trillions of particles that are not entangled with each other.

4. What are some potential applications of entanglement?

Entanglement has the potential to be used for secure communication, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. It could also have applications in improving the sensitivity of certain types of measurements, such as in GPS systems or medical imaging.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in studying entanglement?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations in studying entanglement. One major challenge is maintaining entanglement over long distances, as the entangled particles must remain isolated from their surroundings to prevent interference. Additionally, it is difficult to control and manipulate entangled particles, making it challenging to use them for practical applications. Finally, there are still many unanswered questions about the nature of entanglement and how it works, which makes it a complex and ongoing area of research.