Exploring ATP and ADP: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ATP and provides some resources for further reading. The links mentioned include a page from a college professor's website and a book on Molecular Biology of the Cell. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful links provided.
Pattielli
Can you point me to any articles related to them ?
Anything is fine...

Thank you,

Chemistry news on Phys.org
http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookATP.html
http://staff.jccc.net/pdecell/metabolism/entrans.html#atpadp

For more advance information you can always check the Molecular Biology of the Cell. this usually a book used at the college/university level. The book is free all you have to do is enter the term you want in the left search box

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely forgot about this thread i myself created...You know so many useful links...
Like a magician...:sml:
Thanks a lot for your help,

1. What is ATP and ADP?

ATP (adenosine triphosphate) and ADP (adenosine diphosphate) are molecules that play a crucial role in providing energy for cellular processes in all living organisms.

2. How are ATP and ADP related?

ATP is converted to ADP when energy is released for cellular processes, and ADP is converted back to ATP when energy is needed for cellular processes. This cycle is known as the ATP-ADP cycle.

3. What is the chemical structure of ATP and ADP?

ATP and ADP are both nucleotides, meaning they are made up of a sugar molecule, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base. The main difference between the two molecules is that ATP has three phosphate groups, while ADP has two.

4. How is ATP and ADP used in the body?

ATP is the primary source of energy for cellular processes such as muscle contraction, nerve impulses, and protein synthesis. ADP is converted back to ATP through cellular respiration, where energy from glucose is used to add a phosphate group to ADP.

5. Can ATP and ADP be used as energy sources in non-living systems?

No, ATP and ADP are only used as energy sources in living systems. They are constantly being produced and consumed in living organisms and cannot be stored for later use. In non-living systems, other molecules such as glucose or lipids are used as energy sources.