Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attaching Plastic

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    does anyone know the best way in which to attach pvc with pvc? this is for a boat, so it must be as strong as possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

The glue sold at home centers for attaching the PVC plumbing bonds the plastic together quite well and is fairly inexpensive to boot. There is a cleaner as well (typically sold right next to it) and aside from a nasty smell they set quickly and are easy to use. With the PVC plumbing, it seems the tubing is as likely to break as the joint if you try to seperate a joint that did not set in the right direction....

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    You could somehow melt the PVC and let it cool. Haven't tried it though.

5. Mar 27, 2005 #4
    Plastic welds can be fairly strong. I guess that is what the poster above is suggesting.

6. Mar 27, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What kind of joints, i.e. lap or butt joints? Lap would be stronger, and a solvent glue as Cliff_J mentioned would be sufficient.

Plastic welding is a possibility - but I am not sure of the experience with PVC sheet or plank.

You might try comparing bond strength with the two methods.

7. Mar 29, 2005 #6
    marine grade

If its for a boat you intend to use, you should check into a marine grade adhesive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?