Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attack on Spain

1. Mar 11, 2004 #1
    My regards to those individuals and the people of spain who have been deeply affected my this heinous attack.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2004 #2

Gold Member

Same here. I hope Meteor is doing OK...
  4. Mar 12, 2004 #3
    This tragedy is so sad :( I'm still waiting to hear from my friends over there
  5. Mar 12, 2004 #4
    Tsunami, i'ts really a tragedy what happened here. 198 people were killed in consecutive explossions in 4 trains. It was thought that was ETA who put the bombs, but it seems, amazingly, that is AL-QAEDA!
    who has put the bombs. Is this a retaliation for the fact that Bin-Laden is surrounded there in Pakistan? Well, it only shows that these islamic fundamentalist are all crazy, don't have any respect for the life of others. A lot of shops and balconys in my city have hanged black strips in the windows, like a signal of pain for the murder
    I also have hanged one in my balcony
    The newspapers have sold three more times that in habitual days.
    Even the habitual rivality between my city, (Barcelona) and Madrid has been forgotten, and the people of Barcelona seems affected by what happened.
    Look, the page of Google Spain. it has also put a black string in signal of pain

5000 people have demonstrated in St. Jaume place, in my city Here are some politicians in St. Jaume place

What happened is really sad

6. Mar 12, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

So apparently, they aren't really sure who did it? That's a little strange: generally, terrorists advertise.
  7. Mar 12, 2004 #6
    Well, I think the problem is that several groups have taken credit.
  8. Mar 12, 2004 #7

Gold Member

I'm so very sad for the people of your country. But I am also glad that you are OK. I know many travel back and forth from your cities by train. I was truly hoping you were not one of them.
  9. Mar 12, 2004 #8
    Spain is the where one of the world's greatest Islamic treasures resides - the Alhambra, a Moorish outpost that thrived during Europe's Dark Ages. It may well have the most beautiful architecture I have ever seen. Someone wishes to plunge civilization back into a comparative Dark Ages, quite probably a sadist wrapped in cleric's robes.
  10. Mar 12, 2004 #9

Science Advisor

Just last week there was a story in France about an extortion plot against the national train system. There were threats to blow up trains, and one bomb was found. It was concluded that it was purely economic criminality, and not politically motivated terrorsm. I wonder if there is a connection.

Criminals could have arranged the attack in Spain. They blame terrorists to keep the heat off, but send a message to the French government that they are serious. They also don't force the hand of the French government to hunt them down, because they attacked Spain.

Terrorists could have arranged the threats in France to cause doubt about the nature of the atack in Spain. Contrary to what has been posted, Al Qaeda generally doesn't take credit for attacks. They praise the attackers and condemn the victims, but they don't take credit for the attack.

11. Mar 12, 2004 #10
    How sad, a baby of 9 months is the 199 victim
    Just have heard in TV that ETA has stated that they have not commited the massacre. Anyway, this is not the kind of terrorist attack that ETA uses to do. To date the bloodiest attack of ETA was in 1987, in the Hipercor stores of Barcelona, where were killed 21 persons
    Here's a list with the major attacks of ETA
    A van with detonator caps and arabic recordings in a cassette was found 300 mt. from one of the train stations. This raises suspicious against AL-Qaeda
    My personal hunch is that ETA is not the author of the attacks
  12. Mar 12, 2004 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Politically I wouldn't think it to be the ETA either. Such actions against civilians is really dispicable. If they have to make a statement, why don't they blow up a number of unoccupied trains with the message: we are serious, listen to us?

These actions are creating a scare now, people are extra concious about taking public transportation. Wasn't the aim of terrorists like Bin Laden to create scare and the feeling of terror? I think it again should be sought in that corner.
  13. Mar 12, 2004 #12
    well if Al Quaedae is capable of such an attack then osama bin bang boom is certainly not cornered anywhere, least in pakistan.

"isolated cells" are not capable of so well organized attack

i have another theory about criminals, tho...the government of spain wants to get rid of eta (they claim ETA did it as i understand it), so they blow up their own trains or something.

now there's going to be a major response ("justified" and with non-conventional methods) from the spanish govnmnt, and even if everyone will know tomorrow that ETA is not behind these attacks, it will be wiped out too. one big domestic problem less.

it is, after all, war on terror.

well everyone capable of such a thing is a criminal in any case. so yeah, criminals probably did it.

he who fights the beast should beware that himself doesn't become a beast or something similar said nietzche

certainly something i wouldnt like to happen to me or to anyone i know or perhaps don't know.
  14. Mar 12, 2004 #13

Science Advisor

Isolated cells certainly are capable of such an attack. An isolated cell was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. Bin Laden never knew anything about any planning. He handled fund-raising and recruitment. Even the high ranking assistants to Bin Laden didn't know details. They arranged travel and laundering of funds.

15. Mar 12, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How can you know? Just to be clear: I never implied that Bin Laden is behind this, but that someone with the object to install fear and terror is. Not a subpopulation that want to distinguish themselves from the ruling government.. my reasoning..
  16. Mar 12, 2004 #15

Science Advisor

There were decoded messages from chat room logs. It was deduced from these that Atta informed Bin Laden that something was going to happen September 11th, but that he was unwilling to give details.

17. Mar 12, 2004 #16

Science Advisor

I know there's not supposed to be any connection between Al-Qaida and Iraq, but these attacks are certainly Al-Qaida's style. Other than Great Britain, Spain supported the war on Iraq or enthusiastically than any other European power. I wonder if there is a connection?
  18. Mar 12, 2004 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, the UK, Australia or Poland next? It wasn't only the UK and Spain which supported the US re Iraq (in the early days).

But why Iraq? I thought the evidence was pretty clear ... Saddam and UBL were far from bosom buddies. In fact, didn't UBL regard M Hussein as a real baddie? You know, not at all in favour of a theocracy.
  19. Mar 12, 2004 #18
    On International Terrorism and its remedies to stop it.
    The creators of Al Quada and Laden were U.S.Intelligence agencies(and surrogates form Mossaad),which were heavily engrossed in fighting the USSR during the Cold War era.They trained,finance and used them.In Afghanistan they deployed these by psyching them out in Fanatic games as the covert exercises.Then abondoned them without any means for them to make a living after spending their whole youth years fighting the soviets or Russians.The case of Sadam Hussein also is the identical one.The U.S.Intelligence agents and Mossaad,covertly employed this Iraqi Sadam for pulling down the Iranian Revolution,and Ayatollaha Khomeini when Shah od Iran was removed.Even Carter and U.S. were covertly inspired the removal of Shah because he was the first to increase the price of OIL,and disliked for his act.So Sadam was used to wage a war against the Iranian revolution and Khomeini from 1980's onwards.Then Sadam was abondoned after been used.Thus there are always some "Useful Idiots" are available for intelligence agencies' covert operation around the globe and many ignore their plays!
    This means the International terrorism is not a new thing in our times.Only way to stop it is to design "respectable policies" which do not degrade,insult or condemn any specific human groups in any paretm of the world.
    "since I believe FORCE IS THE BANKRUPTCY OF IDEAS",no Militaristic approach would ever solve this problem,and history shows that.We must respect all kinds of cultures and Human beings,however our approach must be spreading education and standardized foreign policies which might introduce the technologies responsible for INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTIONS".when the populations encounter this they naturally yield to forces of Nature and due to respect of TIME,become civilized ion standardized fashion,producing similarities of Cultures, ethnicities,religious orientations,which are devoid of conflicts.One must also try to "DEMOLISH THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES",which consume so much of the wealth of nations which their citizens produce by hard labor and consumption of Time and sacrifices.The militaries burn this wealth of Nations due to thoutless nonsense of waging wars due to Egos and EMMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL of their populations.
    Dr.Syed Ameen(Ph.D.)
  20. Mar 13, 2004 #19
    Even a thousand half-truths would not testify the whole truth.
  21. Mar 13, 2004 #20
    INDIA condemns terrorists attacks in Spain. I am sorry for the families/country which has suffered from it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?