Ads Gone Wild: Keeping Adblock On Essential

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a sudden attack of ads with sound that caused issues with the speaker's computer and music. They express frustration with the increasing prevalence of intrusive ads and mention the need to use adblock to avoid them.
mattmns
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wow, that isn't what I thought this thread was going to be about. I had pictured you, maybe covered in honey maybe not, falling and being swarmed by ants filling your nostrils and causing a slurring of speech. Perhaps that was just wishful thinking.

mattmns said:
Wow I got to keep adblock on, I was just attacked by ads a minute ago. I was at the onion and this massive ad with sound started lagging the hell out of my computer and my music! These things are getting out of hand, I feel sorry for anyone who puts up with this stuff regularly. I guess I just need to keep adblock on!
Was that an add for "adblock"?

What is Adblock and why is it essential?

Adblock is a software extension that blocks online advertisements from appearing on web pages. It is essential because it improves browsing experience by removing annoying and intrusive ads, helps protect against malware, and reduces data usage.

How does Adblock work?

Adblock works by using a set of rules to identify and block elements on web pages that are known to be advertisements. These rules are regularly updated by the software developers to keep up with new ad formats and techniques.

Do websites lose money when Adblock is turned on?

Yes, websites do lose potential revenue when Adblock is turned on. However, it is important to note that not all ads are blocked and some users may choose to whitelist certain websites or disable Adblock altogether. Additionally, the use of Adblock has also led to the development of alternative methods for websites to earn revenue, such as native advertising and sponsored content.

Can Adblock be harmful to websites?

In general, Adblock is not harmful to websites. However, some websites may rely heavily on advertisements for revenue and may be negatively impacted by the use of Adblock. It is also possible for Adblock to accidentally block non-advertising elements on a website, but this can usually be fixed by whitelisting the website or reporting the issue to the Adblock developers.

Are there any ethical concerns with using Adblock?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding the use of Adblock, as it essentially deprives websites of potential revenue. However, it is ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to use Adblock and support websites through other means such as donations or subscriptions.