How Can I Understand Multiplication in Mathematical Literacy?

• Thread starter evthis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to become literate in math and the importance of understanding conventions and notation in mathematical expressions. It is mentioned that multiplication involving a coefficient and variables or constants is expressed by writing the coefficient followed by the variables or constants with no symbols in between. The conversation also touches on the use of notation and the importance of conventions in communicating mathematical ideas.
evthis
attempting math litearcy

I have decided to attempt to become literate in the language of math and I am doing so by a solo effort in a world of words provided to me by various sources. All I am reading makes sense so far but I would greatly appreciate some aid in translating the idea that multiplication involving
a coefficient and one or more variables or constants is expressed by writing
the coefficient followed by the variables or constants with no symbols in
between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
evthis said:
I have decided to attempt to become literate in the language of math and I am doing so by a solo effort in a world of words provided to me by various sources. All I am reading makes sense so far but I would greatly appreciate some aid in translating the idea that multiplication involving
a coefficient and one or more variables or constants is expressed by writing
the coefficient followed by the variables or constants with no symbols in
between.
I'm not sure what you mean. Write this out using mathematical symbols. Do you mean the convention that a*b where * is some operation similar to multiplication is usually written ab ? This is just notation and doesn't affect or effect any mathematical properties.

Do you mean like "abc", a(b+c) where the multiplication sign has been suppressed?

hypermorphism said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Write this out using mathematical symbols. Do you mean the convention that a*b where * is some operation similar to multiplication is usually written ab ? This is just notation and doesn't affect or effect any mathematical properties.
I am uncertain as to what you refer to when you speak of "the convention" and I am uncertain as to what exactly falls under the properties of "notation."

arildno said:
Do you mean like "abc", a(b+c) where the multiplication sign has been suppressed?
I mean like abc where a is a specific number, b is a specific quantity represented by some form of notation and c is an expression that stands for numbers.

you mean juxtaposition where 'a x b' ("a times b") is simply written as 'ab'?

When denoting multplicatin by a coefficient, it is usal to denote the muplication by juxtapostion where the coefficient precedes the object it belongs to.

Writing everything out in "a world of words" is NOT what is meant by "math literacy"!

HallsofIvy said:
Writing everything out in "a world of words" is NOT what is meant by "math literacy"!
Are you referring to the "world of words" I spoke of in the first entry I made in this post? If so by that I was speaking of the "world of words" present in the volumes I am reading which include the subject of mathematical reasoning and application. Are you suggesting that math can be learned without words?

NO, I am suggesting that math cannot be learned ONLY with words!

Last edited by a moderator:
evthis said:
I am uncertain as to what you refer to when you speak of "the convention" and I am uncertain as to what exactly falls under the properties of "notation."
A convention is just a customary practice; the way most people usually do something, especially if it isn't an "official" rule.
"Notation" refers to the group of symbols, how they're used, and their intended meanings. For example, addition is usually represented by "+" and written between the numbers to be added, for example, "1 + 2". Using another notation, "1 + 2" may be written as "+(1, 2)" or "add(1, 2)" and so on. The notation doesn't really matter- though it's crucial that you know what the notation means.

Yes, though it isn't *technically* necessary, convention is very important. Sure, you could decide that the sine function's symbol should be $(x), and that the cosine function's symbol should be ©(x), and as long as you were consistent, it wouldn't matter. However, a problem would arise when you are trying to communicate it to another person, as they would have no idea what $(x) and ©(x) are. It's better for mathematicians to agree on a convention, or else it would be nearly impossible to share information.

(Hmm...I really like my symbols for sin and cos. What's especially nice is that they're already in ASCII, and that the correct letters are part of the symbol (s and c). You know what, I'm going to start using the $(x) and ©(x) functions as such. :) )

Certain things are convention such as aXb for a times b being simply written as ab. This is especially true with polynominals: [tex]5X^5 +7X^3 +20 [/tex]

I am surprised that any book would bother with that, particularly without examples. But it ain't always so you know. My calculator has been known, I think, and it is certainly true with computer program Pari that it wants the times symbol* in there, or else it will simply not work!

*And the times symbol is found by using capital 8, such as at the beginning of the above line.

Last edited:

1. What is math literacy?

Math literacy is the ability to understand, interpret, and apply mathematical concepts and techniques in real-world situations. It involves not only being able to perform basic mathematical operations, but also having the critical thinking skills to solve problems and think logically.

2. Why is math literacy important?

Math literacy is important because it is a fundamental skill that is necessary for success in many fields, such as science, technology, engineering, and finance. It also helps individuals make informed decisions in their daily lives, such as managing finances, understanding data and statistics, and evaluating claims and advertisements.

3. How can one improve math literacy?

One can improve math literacy by practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and applying mathematical concepts to real-world problems. It is also important to develop critical thinking skills and to approach math with a positive attitude and growth mindset.

4. What are some common challenges in attempting math literacy?

Some common challenges in attempting math literacy include math anxiety, which can hinder one's ability to learn and perform in math, as well as a lack of understanding of basic mathematical concepts and how they relate to each other. Additionally, a lack of motivation or interest in math can also be a barrier to achieving math literacy.

5. How can math literacy be applied in different fields of study?

Math literacy can be applied in various fields of study, such as science, technology, engineering, and finance. In science, it is used to analyze and interpret data and make predictions. In technology, it is necessary for programming and developing algorithms. In engineering, it is used to design and build structures and machines. In finance, math literacy is important for managing budgets, investments, and understanding economic trends.