Is Slow Heat-Up the Key to Breaking In Your New Device?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: Attention all bd conspirators!According to the report I just got, the great failure should reach the devstination tomorrow. Still no information about the main part of the deal, as if it was behind a smoke screen. Take cover before chips will start falling from the sky.I'm ready.What's a bd? Are you landing a big deal?What's a bd? Are you landing a big deal? Borek is Polish and his references are often to American films. This time, Biggus Dickus seems to fit.I'm ready for the fallout. Fish and chips! Yummy yum!fish

They're predicting tornadoes again.

Do not let my smoker get hit by a tornado!

Physics news on Phys.org

Evo said:
They're predicting tornadoes again.

Do not let my smoker get hit by a tornado!

As long as the smoker is nowhere near you when the tornadoes arrive, it should be fine, shouldn't it? :wink:

Dembadon said:
As long as the smoker is nowhere near you when the tornadoes arrive, it should be fine, shouldn't it? :wink:
It has my name on it, I wonder if that's enough to put it in harm's way?

Evo said:
Terrible danger! The poor UPS driver! What about his wife and family?!

Evo said:
If this were anyone else except you, I would laugh it off. That being said, the biggest gift I wish for you is for you to regain some degree of health, and to be able to get about and do the things you truly enjoy with those who are closest to you liking smoking foods to perfection.

Rhody...

Oklahoma City.

Note that I reported Albuquerque much after it left it, it didn't make it THAT fast.

Borek said:
Oklahoma City.

Note that I reported Albuquerque much after it left it, it didn't make it THAT fast.
Oh no! Dangerous storms and tornadoes from Oklahoma City to Kansas City tonight!

Evo said:
Oh no! Dangerous storms and tornadoes from Oklahoma City to Kansas City tonight!
I think it'll be okay. It should be about here and safe from storms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46735&stc=1&d=1335573661.jpg

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 465

Oh dear. I hope this wasn't shipped UPS or FedEx. They don't deliver on Saturdays, and it's getting late in Kansas.

though, I do have connections with both shippers, and can make magic happen.
but then again, I cannot trump the tornado gods.

dlgoff said:
I think it'll be okay. It should be about here and safe from storms.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46735&stc=1&d=1335573661.jpg
Whew, thanks dl! I find comfort in the arrow. :approve:

OmCheeto said:
Oh dear. I hope this wasn't shipped UPS or FedEx. They don't deliver on Saturdays, and it's getting late in Kansas.

though, I do have connections with both shippers, and can make magic happen.
but then again, I cannot trump the tornado gods.
Oooh, it may get here for my birthday!

Evo said:
Oooh, it may get here for my birthday!
We hopes!

Borek said:
Oklahoma City.

Interstate I-40, the I-35 from OkC to KC.

Left Wichita.

Unfortunately, it is UPS. Delivery is scheduled for May 1st, but from the way it is moving looks like it should have no problems reaching Evo on Monday - right on time.

Borek said:
Left Wichita.

Unfortunately, it is UPS. Delivery is scheduled for May 1st, but from the way it is moving looks like it should have no problems reaching Evo on Monday - right on time.
"Right on time" is not in the Brown handbook! We hav RULES!

Seriously, USPS is much better for smaller stuff. FedEx is much better for bigger stuff, BUT if the shipper is going cheap, you can get screwed. FedEx Ground stinks here in Maine. They often farm their deliveries out to fly-by-night outfits with little panel-trucks, and stuff arrives a week late.

50 pounds, I am not sure it is a small or a big stuff.

Lenexa. That's Evo's backyard. 6.2 miles in a straight line from the UPS Hub to Evo's home.

Last edited:

Borek said:
Lenexa. That's Evo's backyard. 6.2 miles in a straight line from the UPS Hub to Evo's home.
There should be no excuse for it not to get here Monday!

<Evo does happy dance>

Hopefully Evo Child will return my camera today so I can post pictures when it gets here. She's been evading my requests to return it. She has a much better digital camera. At least she HAD a better camera. She finally admitted she doesn't know where all of my treasured Christmas DVDs she borrowed are. :cry:

Evo said:
There should be no excuse for it not to get here Monday!

<Evo does happy dance>

Hopefully Evo Child will return my camera today so I can post pictures when it gets here. She's been evading my requests to return it. She has a much better digital camera. At least she HAD a better camera. She finally admitted she doesn't know where all of my treasured Christmas DVDs she borrowed are. :cry:
I duz happy dance, too! Tell her to leave the camera in your car when she returns that! She can send the debit card to me. I'll keep it warm. :devil:

for a small fee.

Last edited:

PF has has a problem. If I start a thread, It always ends up in the "unread queue"? Why That don't nice.

Evo said:
<Evo does happy dance>

Saw the following this morning, and thought of you. :smile:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/545682_436928532999318_317709608254545_1594866_182061902_n.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoker should arrive right on BD!

Evo, you should heat that puppy right up to drive out the (inevitable) mineral oils on the metal surfaces. Let it cool down, wipe the surfaces with a high smoke-point vegetable oil (peanut would be my choice) and heat it up again to "cure" the metals. That way, your first few forays into smoking won't be spoiled with subtle "off" tastes.

turbo said:
... you should heat that puppy right up to drive out the (inevitable) mineral oils on the metal surfaces. ...

Absolutely! For initial "break-in", I would heat it up slowly over several hours to it's max temp while loaded with smoke chips (slow heat-up to minimize thermal stress on the elements and create smoke to sweep it clean).

dlgoff said:
Absolutely! For initial "break-in", I would heat it up slowly over several hours to it's max temp while loaded with smoke chips (slow heat-up to minimize thermal stress on the elements and create smoke to sweep it clean).
Yep, it needs to be broken in.

<h2>1. What is meant by "breaking in" a new device?</h2><p>"Breaking in" a new device refers to the process of using it for the first time in order to optimize its performance and ensure that it functions properly. This can involve tasks such as charging the battery, setting up the device, and familiarizing oneself with its features.</p><h2>2. Why is slow heat-up believed to be important for breaking in a new device?</h2><p>Slow heat-up is believed to be important for breaking in a new device because it allows the device to gradually adjust to its optimal operating temperature. This can help prevent overheating and potential damage to the device's components.</p><h2>3. Are there any risks associated with slow heat-up when breaking in a new device?</h2><p>While there are no inherent risks associated with slow heat-up, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for breaking in a new device. Some devices may require a specific heat-up process, and deviating from these instructions could potentially harm the device.</p><h2>4. How long should the slow heat-up process last when breaking in a new device?</h2><p>The length of the slow heat-up process can vary depending on the device and its specific instructions. In general, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It is important to consult the device's manual or the manufacturer's website for specific guidelines.</p><h2>5. Is slow heat-up necessary for all types of devices?</h2><p>While slow heat-up may be recommended for certain types of devices, such as smartphones or laptops, it may not be necessary for all devices. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions for your specific device to determine if slow heat-up is recommended for breaking it in.</p>

1. What is meant by "breaking in" a new device?

"Breaking in" a new device refers to the process of using it for the first time in order to optimize its performance and ensure that it functions properly. This can involve tasks such as charging the battery, setting up the device, and familiarizing oneself with its features.

2. Why is slow heat-up believed to be important for breaking in a new device?

Slow heat-up is believed to be important for breaking in a new device because it allows the device to gradually adjust to its optimal operating temperature. This can help prevent overheating and potential damage to the device's components.

3. Are there any risks associated with slow heat-up when breaking in a new device?

While there are no inherent risks associated with slow heat-up, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for breaking in a new device. Some devices may require a specific heat-up process, and deviating from these instructions could potentially harm the device.

4. How long should the slow heat-up process last when breaking in a new device?

The length of the slow heat-up process can vary depending on the device and its specific instructions. In general, the process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. It is important to consult the device's manual or the manufacturer's website for specific guidelines.

5. Is slow heat-up necessary for all types of devices?

While slow heat-up may be recommended for certain types of devices, such as smartphones or laptops, it may not be necessary for all devices. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions for your specific device to determine if slow heat-up is recommended for breaking it in.