Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attention Cat Owners

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have fought this problem like we have you would agree that this deserves a public announcement. :biggrin: Of the many cats that we've had we only had one with long hair - a silver-shaded Chinchilla Persian. But she was strictly an indoor cat so she was relatively easy to manage. Over that last couple of years we have acquired two, indoor-outdoor, long haired cats. :surprised What a mess!!! We have really struggled to control the matting problem with their coats and just learned about and purchased a mat comb. If you have long hair cats that get matted, this is a must. It's well worth the $20 for a quality comb. They make them for dogs as well. The combs have upward facing blades that cut the mat from the bottom up.

Besides, it seemed to be time for another pet thread. :biggrin: Lets see them pics.

Here's my little Bun [with a little help from dduardo]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2
    Oh wow that picture's awesome!!! :rofl:

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This reminded me of this thread Winged Cats

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4
    Foxy Lady{corgi} and Moonshadow

note the "wing" on Moonshadow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  6. Apr 13, 2005 #5

SOS2008

Gold Member

That cat is adorable! dduardo did a great job--the evil eye is hilarious, and these are skills I too would like to acquire. So with all the land and many critters that Ivan and Tsu have, maybe they could start a zoo? Of course pictures like this make me want a pet--stop it!

7. Apr 13, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aha! So that's why you were running around shaving kitty cats! :biggrin:

I think the mat-comb will work much better. And it sure beats taking 'em to the vet for an $80 haircut.

My cats have all been shorthairs, but I do have a problem with them shedding. I use those lint rollers constantly to try to get the cat hair up.

8. Apr 13, 2005 #7
  9. Apr 13, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl:
    When I had my cat, I used his brush to get the hair off the sofa--worked great. (I tried to vacuum him once--oh boy!)

10. Apr 13, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I'm more concerned with the Hitler 'stache. :bugeye:

I used to have one of those, but it got lost. Instead of buying a new one, I now wrap duct tape around a beer can with the sticky side out. It works better than the first one.

That, I learned the hard way, is also not recommended for parakeets. (And anybody who says that sound doesn't carry in a vacuum has obviously never tried it. I could hear the damned thing squawking for 2 days.)

11. Apr 13, 2005 #10

SOS2008

Gold Member

I know, you got the idea for duct tape from the Red Green show (love that show)! I think the lint roller is somewhere on your dining room table... :rolleyes:
    :rofl:

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mine's one. His name is Mathias.

"The more I learn about women, the more I love my cat".

Anonymous.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  13. Apr 14, 2005 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I want to see Clausius' cat. NOW!
    Evo, where art thou? :grumpy:

14. Apr 14, 2005 #13
    Kitties

I've got one long haired (a Maine Coon), and two tabbies:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We also rescued this stray little kitten last summer:
    [​IMG]
    There are a lot of cats around here... :tongue2:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  15. Apr 14, 2005 #14
    I'm not gonna quote the message. I think you know why :surprised

Very nice and fluffy cats :approve: :biggrin: However, is that kitten supposed to be a red X? :cry:

16. Apr 14, 2005 #15
    awwww, I am thinking about getting a cat. I really like the tabbies, they look like tigers! :smile:

17. Apr 14, 2005 #16
    This kitty likes red X's: [​IMG]. :rofl:
    Seriously, I'm going to decrease the size of those guys a bit, though... :uhh:

18. Apr 14, 2005 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

He's so cute!!!!! :approve:

19. Apr 14, 2005 #18
    That X is pretty awesome :biggrin: :approve:

I would actually love a tiger cub for a pet..although when it grows up, it might eat my head :uhh:

20. Apr 14, 2005 #19
    They are like tigers... especially in the morning when they demand you get out of bed and fix them breakfast! :biggrin:

21. Apr 14, 2005 #20

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Sorry to break up the cat theme, but I only have ectotherms. The tortoise, a greek, is Argos (Gus for short) and the newt is Thomas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?