Solving Attenuation Coursework Problem for Salters A2 Physics

In summary, to increase the diversity of your investigation on the attenuation of projector slides, you can vary the thickness of the slides, use different types of light sources, experiment with different materials and colours, and consider other factors that may affect the results.
O_oSam
The Problem
I'm doing Salters A2 Physics coursework. Have chosen to do attenuation of projector slides but need some help with project variation. I feel that just finding an attenuation coefficient for the material that the slides are made from will give me few measurments and therefore not maximise my potential marks.

Will there be any difference in the attenuation coefficient for different wavelengths of light? If this is worth investigating should I use a filter on the light source or coloured slides?

How else can I increase the diversity of my investigation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SolutionThere are several ways to increase the diversity of your investigation. 1. Vary the thickness of the slides - You could use a variety of slide thicknesses to see if this has any effect on the attenuation coefficient.2. Vary the light source - Instead of just using one type of light source, you could try using different types of light sources such as LED, fluorescent or incandescent light. This will allow you to compare the results and draw conclusions about which type of light source produces the best results.3. Consider using different materials for the slides - You could investigate how different materials such as plastic, glass or metal affect the attenuation coefficient. This can help you determine which material is best for projecting slides.4. Test different colours - You could test different colours of slides to see if there is any variation in the attenuation coefficient. You could also use filters on the light source to change the wavelength of light being emitted. This will allow you to compare the results of different wavelengths of light.5. Consider other factors - You could also consider other factors such as temperature, humidity or air pressure to see if they have any effect on the results.By exploring these various options, you can increase the diversity of your investigation and maximize your potential marks.

1. What is attenuation in physics?

Attenuation refers to the decrease in intensity of a signal as it travels through a medium, such as air or water. In the context of Salters A2 Physics coursework, it typically refers to the decrease in intensity of a sound or light wave as it travels through a material, such as a salt solution.

2. Why is solving attenuation coursework problems important?

Solving attenuation coursework problems is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of waves in different materials and how they are affected by factors such as distance, concentration, and frequency. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations for real-world applications, such as designing communication systems or medical imaging techniques.

3. What are the key steps in solving an attenuation coursework problem?

The first step is to understand the problem and identify the given parameters, such as the type of wave, the medium it is traveling through, and the distance or concentration involved. Then, we use the appropriate equations and principles, such as the Beer-Lambert Law, to calculate the expected attenuation. Finally, we compare our results to experimental data and draw conclusions based on the accuracy of our calculations.

4. How does the concentration of a solution affect attenuation?

The concentration of a solution can affect attenuation in several ways. For sound waves, as the concentration of the solution increases, the speed of sound decreases, resulting in a higher attenuation. For light waves, an increase in concentration can increase the number of molecules that absorb and scatter the light, leading to a higher attenuation. Additionally, the type and size of particles present in the solution can also impact attenuation.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving attenuation coursework problems?

Attenuation calculations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing soundproofing materials for buildings, determining the optimal concentration of a medication for medical treatments, and predicting the performance of optical fibers in telecommunication systems. It is also important in fields such as environmental science, where attenuation calculations can help understand the impact of pollutants on sound and light propagation in natural habitats.