1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attenuation in conductors

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm writing a school paper on the behavior of electromagnetic waves when they hit the interface between a non-conductor and a conductor. My question is if, in the case of partial reflection, it is correct to allow for both components of the wave vector (the wave is confined to a plane) of the transmitted wave to be complex (in the conductor, there is attenuation in both* directions, isn't it)?

* Of course, if the transmitted wave is orthogonal to the interface there is only one direction to consider.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    If it is of any help, this is how I imagine the electric field vector of the transmitted wave (in the metal) should look: [tex]\textbf{E}_{0t}\exp i(k'_{xt}x+k'_{zt}z-\omega_t t)\exp(-k''_{xt}x)\exp(-k''_{zt}z),\label{17b}[/tex]. The ' and '' denote the real and the imaginary parts of the wave vector components, respectively. (Ignore the direction signs. What I wonder is if he basic idea is correct).

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    No one? Please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook