Attenuation of a data signal

• Thread starter MC363A
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Can anyone give me a good general formula or expanation for the diference in attenuation in a data signal in a network over a 500 and a 5000 foot cable?
Help would be much appreciated. Thanx!

Answers and Replies

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is no simple formula, since the result depends highly on both the transmitter and receiver impedances, as well as the impedance of the wire.

You might want to consider finding a book on transmission line theory in your local university library.

- Warren

NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A general explanation is that there is no such thing as a perfect inductor or capacitor. There is always some combination of L+R+C going on. While two of those components may be very small they are not necessarily negligible.
Attenuation in a practical transmission line is dependent on construction details, manufacturing tolerance and material properties.

If you are interested in practical transmission lines then the ARRL Handbook might be a good choice.

if you have a specific requirement in mind. solutions are but a phone call away. don't reinvent the wheel. call manufacturers of digital cable and, digital signal equipment. they will give you all the information you need.free of charge, they will provide you with calculations, and solutions. it is a special and gifted person who thinks beyond those that design, market, and sell a required commodity!

I am trying to be as general as posible. Assuming the two wires are the same, and there is no power lost at the source or at the reciever. Just a basic data stream that travels from point A to point B.
Again, Thank you for help.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think we've already answered your question then -- you need a book on transmission lines. This topic is not simple.

- Warren