Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attenuation of Gamma Rays

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    I need to know the practical applications of the absorption of gamma rays in materials.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Most of the time, it's shielding. In other words, gamma rays (an neutrons) are highly penetrating and are very damaging to living tissue, so the typical use of materials for attenuating gamma radiation is shielding.

4. May 3, 2009 #3

sas3

Gold Member

Speaking of Gamma Rays,
    Just got an e-mail from the ESO's Very Large Telescope about a faint gamma-ray burst detected last Thursday that is the signature of the explosion of the earliest, most distant known object in the Universe.

http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/press-rel/pr-2009/pr-17-09.html"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. May 3, 2009 #4
    There are three distinct regions of gamma ray absorption; a)Photoelectric effect (usually roughly below the binding energy of the 1s shell electrons in nuclei), c) above the pair production threshold (above 1.02 MeV) with some Z dependence, and b) (between a )and c)) Compton scattering.

6. May 4, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

this smells homework... "I need"

I can give you a practical use: X-ray images

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook