1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attraction between two solenoids

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    I have been asked to calculate the attraction between two solenoids that are positioned in 'series' N-S N-S and have a space 'x' between them.

I tried to approximate the attraction between them by using the equation for attraction between cylinderical bar magnets:

F=\left[\frac {B_0^2 A^2 \left( L^2+R^2 \right)} {\pi\mu_0L^2}\right] \left[{\frac 1 {x^2}} + {\frac 1 {(x+2L)^2}} - {\frac 2 {(x+L)^2}} \right]

where

B0 is the magnetic flux density very close to each pole, in T,
    A is the area of each pole, in m2,
    L is the length of each magnet, in m,
    R is the radius of each magnet, in m, and
    x is the separation between the two magnets, in m

(its from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets)

I have been told this is not an appropriate equation. Can anyone help me understand why, and what I should do instead?

Any advice much appreciated.

LB

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2
    Forgot to mention, I know the size of solenoids and the flowing current so I could calculate the magnetic field size to use in the bar magnet equation.

4. Dec 26, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My stab at it:

Each solenoid has N turns. Using the formula for the force between two parallel wires carrying currents iA and iB, take the loop of solenoid A closest to solenoid B and determine the force between it and the closest loop of solenoid B. Then take the closest loop of A and get the force between it and the second-closest loop of B, etc. Then repeat for all the loops of A.

You don't want a discrete formula so assume a winding density of n turns/unit length and do a continuous integration.

Hopefully you'll get other suggestions. Not sure this is the best way to proceed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted