Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attractive and replusive forces

1. May 24, 2004 #1
    I'm stumped on a school question and was wondering if anyone could provide some guidance.

Identify two replusive forces and two attractive forces that influence the formation of chemical bonds between two atoms.

I know there isnt much to work with here but honestly it's all I got. I've been reading through the materials provided with my course and I can't find anything that will satisfy the question. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong or overlooking something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2

I think I found the answer.

Attractive forces are the forces between the nucleus of an atom and its own electrons as well as the nucleus of one atom and the electron clouds of another.

Repulsive forces are the forces between the negative electron clouds of two different atoms and the positive nuclei of two different atoms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?