Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attractive equation

1. Jul 13, 2003 #1
    When determining the force of gravity that a planet exerts, is the speed of rotation a factor? If so is this because of centrifugal force? Yet is it not so that on a space station that creates centrifugal force, the attraction created is considered artificial gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it has an effect, but the effect is very small (I can't remember offhand how small exacly). And yes, it works the same way as on a space station (except of course you are inside, not outside).

4. Jul 13, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the gravitational force does NOT depend in any way upon the rotation of a planet.

It is true that when you stand on a scale the reading is slightly LESS than the actual force of gravity: the "centrifugal force" directed away from the center of the planet offsets the gravitational force very slightly. However, it is still true that the actual gravitational force depends only on mass and distance from the center of the planet.

5. Jul 13, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Good clarification. I missed that one.

6. Jul 13, 2003 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Insights Author
    Gold Member

I wouldn't call it artificial gravity but simulated[i/] gravity. Locally, it behaves like a lot like gravity, but has a different origin.

7. Jul 14, 2003 #6
    Sounds vaguely familiar. What causes it?

8. Jul 14, 2003 #7
    Although perception of gravity on surface is one thing, I got a question from this angle:
    mass is a form of energy, thus density of energy causes gravity. But rotational momentum of planet also stores some kind of energy. Does that rotational momentum add to gravity or not?

9. Jul 14, 2003 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, yes, in that sense, increased energy add a little mass: have you calculated the mass added by the rotation of a planet?

It is, of course, m= E/c2. I think you find that negligible.

By the way, when you talk about a space station using rotation as an "artificial gravity" you are aware that people walk around on the INSIDE of the station with their heads toward the center? You make it sound as if you thought they would be walking around on the outside as on the earth.

Also, you cannot use centriugal force to create a uniform force on a sphere- you have to have a cylinder so every one is the same distance from the AXIS of rotation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?