1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Attractive forces

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding how the exchange of particles, wether it be in weak, Em, or Stong interactions, can cause an attraction between matter particles. Or how glueons produce such a stonger interaction with the strong force then say photons in the EM force. Can somone post a link or two describing the process or give an expanation? I'm asking this question as a first year undergrad student, so I have no higher education regarding this at all... :uhh:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    Thanks for that, I had a feeling it was going to be a lot more complicated then to get a simple layman explanation. I guess that's a good thing as I can ask questions and get a (hopefully) deeper understanding of the process. I haven't studied wave functions in QM so I'm having difficulty grasping what they really are. Are they similar to the wave function decribing a classical wave,
    ie. SHM in classical physics in a spring?

as in: y(x,t) = A sin [2pi/lambda (x-vt)]

I know complex-numbers are needed for QM wave functions, but is the idea behind them still just a description of the particle's wave motion or position of particle? From what I understand a QM wave is finding the probablility of finding the position of a particle within a possible wave/sinusoidal area..

So, with this statment from the article,
    "Suppose, for simplicity, that the charged particles' wave functions are initially Gaussians at rest, that is, normal bell-shaped, real-valued functions, and that they are lined up along the x axis. You can think of the wave functions, schematically, as looking like this:

................... ____ ...................................... ____
    ................. /........\ .................................../.........\ ....x -->
    ..............._/...........\_ ............................ _/............\_
    0 _______/.................\_________________/..................\__________"

For me I wouldn't expect the wavefunction to look like half a wave, but in sinusoidal form, that is if my I'm understanding of the wavefunction being a particle's mode of vibration and probability of finding the particle in a definate space is correct...

maybe I'll stop there for now. can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the wave function. Am I at all on the right track at all or a lost cause:tongue: .

I must be a lost cause because this completly throws off my train of thought:
    "I can also define wave functions in 'momentum space'" momentum has a wavefunction?:uhh:

sorry for my ignorance, I hope somone can put up with me and take the time to point me in the right direction.:redface:
    thanks
    Neil

EDIT: sorry i guess it's not that hard for me to find info on the wave function. I'll do some reading and if I have anymore question's regarding that article I'll ask. Thanks again jtbell for the article.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?