Attractive Girl Kept Calling Me Sweetie - Meaning?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary: I'm not a mind reader.It can be difficult to tell the difference between flirting and being nice, but there are some key signs to look for. The girl might be consistently playful and/or get emotional during the conversation, which would suggest she is flirting.
kyphysics
Went for an MRI earlier this week. The technician was a surprisingly young - 20-something - female (who I felt would qualify as universally attractive). Anyways, I'm probably slightly older than her and she was calling me "sweetie" the entire time.

We've never met and she obviously knew my first name (on the chart) and for whatever reason decided to call me that term of endearment.

Some people are really nice and may just treat everyone in a super friendly way with names like that. Other times, it seems like it's done in a flirting way. Is it odd that this girl, whom I've never met, would call me that immediately and throughout our interaction?

Maybe she felt bad for me, due to my injury? Is "sweetie" ever used to refer to someone you feel sorry for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Had similar names used to me all the time in similar situations, I don't overthink it and get on with life.

Likes symbolipoint, hutchphd, DaveE and 4 others
Doesn't mean anything, chances are she calls everyone the same way.

Likes Leo Liu, Hamiltonian, Klystron and 3 others
Reminds me of that The Onion skit: Waitresses. Are they hitting on you?

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, BillTre and Oldman too
kyphysics said:
Went for an MRI earlier this week. The technician was a surprisingly young - 20-something - female (who I felt would qualify as universally attractive). Anyways, I'm probably slightly older than her and she was calling me "sweetie" the entire time...

Is it odd that this girl, whom I've never met, would call me that immediately and throughout our interaction?

Maybe she felt bad for me, due to my injury? Is "sweetie" ever used to refer to someone you feel sorry for?
It's bedside manner, yes; she's being nice to a patient who may be in a difficult situation.

Likes symbolipoint, kyphysics and Leo Liu
Borek nailed it. She is probably just a super nice person and uses that "term" with most people. Or...as you stated you are similar in age perhaps. Maybe she was getting "sweet" on you.😁

My wife called so many people 'Honey', it became her nickname.

• Haha
Likes kyphysics and Leo Liu
kyphysics said:
Went for an MRI earlier this week. The technician was a surprisingly young - 20-something - female (who I felt would qualify as universally attractive). Anyways, I'm probably slightly older than her and she was calling me "sweetie" the entire time.

We've never met and she obviously knew my first name (on the chart) and for whatever reason decided to call me that term of endearment.

Some people are really nice and may just treat everyone in a super friendly way with names like that. Other times, it seems like it's done in a flirting way. Is it odd that this girl, whom I've never met, would call me that immediately and throughout our interaction?

To @kyphysics:

Without knowing more about this technician, my assumption would be that she is just very friendly with everyone, and refers to everyone as "sweetie" (I've known a number of women who did just that).

I agree with the other posters -- I would advise you to not overthink it, as it doesn't mean anything.

Likes symbolipoint and Astronuc
StatGuy2000 said:
Without knowing more about this technician, my assumption would be that she is just very friendly with everyone, and refers to everyone as "sweetie" (I've known a number of women who did just that).

I agree with the other posters -- I would advise you to not overthink it, as it doesn't mean anything.
I concur.
kyphysics said:
that term of endearment.
It's a term of endearment, probably to older patients, if not all patients. I wouldn't read anymore into it.

If a 20-something flirted with me, or hit on me, I'd be concerned about "impaired judgement". :oldbiggrin::-p

• Haha
Likes symbolipoint, StatGuy2000 and hutchphd
It's likely that she really liked you and found you endearing. Women do this in my area to people they like. It doesn't have to be romantic and I would take it as a compliment. It's also possible that she was flirting.

I have never called a man sweetie. I would probably choke.

Likes pinball1970
Don't overthink. Something bit more than friendliness/patient handling might be involved, but anything like that won't set on the first time and anyway, you just skipped even that slight chance already, right?
Now you have seen more of the word: be content with the experience o0)

BTW this 'honey' comes to my mind :doh:

It's late. I'm bored. ...So, I'll ask.

How can a person tell the signs/differences between flirting and someone being nice?

I'm a dumb dude. Explain to me like I'm a 3 year old. ...Seriously, I can never figure these things out.

The hardest ones to decipher are when the girl is being very playful and/or gets emotional in our conversation. I feel like consistent playfulness is flirty vs. a one time playful comment. But, then again, what if that girl's personality is just that way? How can one tell?

re: emotional conversation ...This is another hard one to tell. I've met girls who are VERY EMPATHETIC. If you're hurting, they'll offer emotional support. But, sometimes it's SO empathetic and tonally tender that I wonder if there's something more? Here is a case that bothers me to this day:

I got into a fight with a childhood friend of mine in college. I told my roommate and his girlfriend. When my roommate left, his girlfriend comforted me with very tender words (like a very soft voice/tone and comforting words). She put her hand on my lap and rubbed it.

Okay - totally possibly innocent. Except, there was just this "vibe" or tone to things that felt like it was something more. Later that year, she'd call and email/text me a lot. She wanted to get to know me. She was having a tough time with my roomie and they'd be off and on...off and on...breaking up and getting back together. At times when she'd call or message me, she was broken up/single. I would never have dated her, however, due to being friends with my roommate (not wanting to betray him) and also her not being my type.

Still, this was someone I got to know...we weren't friends, but we were very close acquaintances (just a tiny notch below friends). We'd talk about our goals, our stresses, and just college/work life. I never understood our relationship actually. I didn't care too much, b/c I didn't like her like that. But, I always wondered if she liked me like that.

How can a dumb guy tell?

kyphysics said:
How can a dumb guy tell?
Ask them.

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and Astronuc
kyphysics said:
How can a person tell the signs/differences between flirting and someone being nice?
Or both.

kyphysics said:
Still, this was someone I got to know...we weren't friends, but we were very close acquaintances (just a tiny notch below friends). We'd talk about our goals, our stresses, and just college/work life. I never understood our relationship actually. I didn't care too much, b/c I didn't like her like that. But, I always wondered if she liked me like that.

How can a dumb guy tell?
Klystron said:
Ask them.
That is the only way to sure, and even then, the other person can change, especially if that person is on/off/repeat.

There is a spectrum of flirting, which could start out as simply nice. Someone might flirt to seek affirmation that they are attractive or desirable, i.e., as a confidence booster.

I think if someone were just being nice, they'd be upfront and honest, but then again, one never knows with a stranger, or even an acquaintance, what is going through the person's mind. One would have to know someone for quite some time in order to make an informed (and objective) assessment.

I had an older woman (divorced) put her hands on my arms or shoulders. She was being nice, and possibly flirting a little. She knew I was married, and she probably felt safe, knowing I would not respond beyond a smile. She didn't touch any other male in the office, even those who were single.

Later on, she'd pop her head in my doorway (in a multiroom office) and make a comment like "nice muscles", to which I would laugh. That was a little more flirting, but I think she felt safe in doing so, understanding that I had limits. She subsequently started a relationship, and the flirting diminished. I don't know what she was thinking, but it might have boosted her confidence.

• Love
Likes Oldman too, kyphysics, StatGuy2000 and 2 others
Astronuc said:
Later on, she'd pop her head in my doorway (in a multiroom office) and make a comment like "nice muscles", to which I would laugh.
Come on. You can't post that without showing us a glimpse of your muscles man.

Give us a pic of your guns! :-p

kyphysics said:
The technician was a surprisingly young - 20-something - female (who I felt would qualify as universally attractive). Anyways, I'm probably slightly older than her and she was calling me "sweetie" the entire time.
if it had been a guy I would have bit tensed up

kyphysics said:
It's late. I'm bored. ...So, I'll ask.

I'm a dumb dude. Explain to me like I'm a 3 year old. ...Seriously, I can never figure these things out.

The hardest ones to decipher are when the girl is being very playful and/or gets emotional in our conversation. I feel like consistent playfulness is flirty vs. a one time playful comment. But, then again, what if that girl's personality is just that way? How can one tell?

re: emotional conversation ...This is another hard one to tell. I've met girls who are VERY EMPATHETIC. If you're hurting, they'll offer emotional support. But, sometimes it's SO empathetic and tonally tender that I wonder if there's something more? Here is a case that bothers me to this day:

I got into a fight with a childhood friend of mine in college. I told my roommate and his girlfriend. When my roommate left, his girlfriend comforted me with very tender words (like a very soft voice/tone and comforting words). She put her hand on my lap and rubbed it.

Okay - totally possibly innocent. Except, there was just this "vibe" or tone to things that felt like it was something more. Later that year, she'd call and email/text me a lot. She wanted to get to know me. She was having a tough time with my roomie and they'd be off and on...off and on...breaking up and getting back together. At times when she'd call or message me, she was broken up/single. I would never have dated her, however, due to being friends with my roommate (not wanting to betray him) and also her not being my type.

How can a dumb guy tell?
Working this stuff out is the fun part.

1. What does it mean when an attractive girl keeps calling me "sweetie"?

It could mean that she is interested in you and is trying to show affection or endearment. Alternatively, she could simply be using the term as a friendly gesture without any romantic intentions.

2. Is it a good sign if an attractive girl calls me "sweetie"?

It depends on the context and your relationship with the girl. If you are interested in her, it could be a positive sign that she is comfortable enough to use a term of endearment with you. However, if you are just friends, it may not hold any romantic significance.

3. How should I respond if an attractive girl calls me "sweetie"?

The best way to respond would be to gauge the situation and your relationship with the girl. If you are interested in her, you could reciprocate the term of endearment or use a similar term like "darling" or "honey". If you are not interested in her, it would be best to respond with a simple thank you or a friendly gesture.

4. Is it appropriate for an attractive girl to call me "sweetie" if we are just acquaintances?

It depends on the individual's personal boundaries and comfort level. Some people may find it endearing and friendly, while others may find it too intimate for a casual acquaintance. It would be best to communicate your preferences to the girl if her use of the term makes you uncomfortable.

5. Should I take it as a sign of attraction if an attractive girl calls me "sweetie"?

Again, it depends on the context and your relationship with the girl. It could be a sign of attraction, but it could also simply be her way of speaking or showing friendliness. It would be best to look for other signs of attraction and communicate with the girl to clarify her intentions.