Attractive Potential: Positive or Negative?

• Thread starter Cosmossos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of attractive and repulsive potential in physics, specifically in the context of quantum mechanics. It is explained that the sign of the potential is not as important as the shape of the potential, as represented by the negative gradient in the formula for force. It is also mentioned that the reference potential at infinity is often considered to be 0, and a particle at rest will always want to go to a lower potential energy.
Cosmossos
Hello
I'm so confused. Attractive potential is positive or negative?
My intuition is that an Attractive potential makes a particle go from low potential to high potential so it should be negative.
Is that right?
Do you have another intuitive explanation?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy? Or electric potential? Those can give you quite different answers. As for potential energy, unless you have a reference potential to compare with then you can't say for sure if it is positive or negative. You can only say that a particle at rest subjected to that potential will prefer to go to a lower potential.

For example a spring has a positive potential energy (1/2 kx^2). But it is still attractive. You can only say a particle at rest will want to go to the lowest point of the curve.

But I'm talking about a potential in the meaning of quantum mechanics.
If I'm told that a particle is in an attractive potenial . what's it sign?
thanks

A quantum harmonic oscillator is an attractive potential and it has a positive sign. A constant electric field can be attractive for certain charges and it's potential can also be positive. The only thing that holds true is that the particle at rest will want to go to a lower potential energy than it is currently at.

Most often though, the reference potential is 0 at r=infinity. That means to be attractive, the potential must be negative at 'r' less than infinity.

Likes bodyscripter
But why?
I got a question which says that a particle is in a repulsive potential -Vo (for r<a)
Why is -Vo a repulsive potential?

I just told you that the sign of the potential is meaningless. The only thing that matters is the shape of the potential. If the potential energy decreases as it approaches the object then it is an attractive potential. If it increases then it is a repulsive potential.

Just the gradient of the potential matters

Please refer to the below formula:

[tex]\vec{F} = - \nabla V[/tex]

Therefore we are just interested in the negative gradient of the potential, not it's sign.

1. What is attractive potential?

Attractive potential is a term used to describe the influence that a certain person, place, or thing has on others. It refers to the positive or negative qualities that make something appealing or unappealing to others.

2. How is attractive potential measured?

Attractive potential is typically measured through various factors such as physical appearance, charisma, intelligence, social status, and other desirable qualities. However, the perception of attractive potential can also vary greatly among individuals.

3. Is attractive potential always positive?

No, attractive potential can be both positive and negative. While some people or things may have qualities that make them attractive to others, they may also possess qualities that are unappealing to some individuals.

4. Can attractive potential change over time?

Yes, attractive potential can change over time. People and situations are not static, and their qualities and characteristics can evolve over time, affecting their overall attractive potential.

5. How does attractive potential affect relationships?

Attractive potential can play a significant role in the formation and maintenance of relationships. People tend to be attracted to those with positive attractive potential, and it can also influence the dynamics and longevity of relationships.