Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ATV to dock to ISS today

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first automated rendezvous of a non-Russian vehicle with the ISS will be taking place shortly. The Jules Verne ATV is scheduled to dock at 14:40 UT. Coverage on NASA TV starts at 14:00 UT. ATV passed demo days #1 and #2 with flying colors, which enabled the controllers to give a go for today's docking attempt.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Textbook docking. My company just lost 10-15% of our work. Of course, this was the best way to lose work: successful completion of a project.

4. Apr 3, 2008 #3
    Congrats
    Trust me, succes is the best precursor for future contracts (although I don't know how much y'all went overbudget.

5. Apr 3, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

So are you gainfully unemployed now? :smile:

CS

6. Apr 3, 2008 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Still gainfully employed. In fact, we're still hiring. We knew this particular project was coming to an end quite some time ago. It ended quite nicely. BTW, I misspoke. I should have said my employer, rather than my company. I am but a peon ...

7. Apr 4, 2008 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

They said on the news that the Jules delivered supplies and then would take on trash to burn up on re entry. They also said that no one was on the station. What actually did the transfer?

8. Apr 4, 2008 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You either heard wrong or the news you watched got it wrong. No one was on the Jules Verne. A crew of five were (and are) onboard the ISS at the time of docking: the Expedition 16 crew.

9. Apr 4, 2008 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that why there are women astronauts? Somebody has to make the guys take the trash out!

10. Apr 4, 2008 #9

LURCH

Science Advisor

Hey, that's my job! BTW; I'm going to have to change my sig now; I got hired.

Who said that? There are personell on the station, they had to make ready to evacuate if that 22-ton monster came in with anything but the gentlest of intentions.

Watched the whole thing on NASA tv; truly lovely.

11. Apr 6, 2008 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Ahhh. That makes more sense. Thanks.

12. Apr 6, 2008 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Some women would say "look at the extents we have to go to to get you to take the trash out!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?