Will the Jules Verne ATV successfully dock with the ISS today?

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
In summary, the first automated rendezvous of a non-Russian vehicle with the ISS happened successfully with the docking of the Jules Verne ATV at 14:40 UT. Coverage of the event was shown on NASA TV starting at 14:00 UT. This successful docking resulted in the loss of 10-15% of work for a company, but it was seen as a positive outcome. The crew of five on board the ISS were involved in the transfer of supplies and trash with the Jules Verne ATV. There was some confusion about whether or not anyone was on the station, but it was confirmed that the crew was present. Overall, the docking was a successful and well-watched event.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The first automated rendezvous of a non-Russian vehicle with the ISS will be taking place shortly. The Jules Verne ATV is scheduled to dock at 14:40 UT. Coverage on NASA TV starts at 14:00 UT. ATV passed demo days #1 and #2 with flying colors, which enabled the controllers to give a go for today's docking attempt.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Textbook docking. My company just lost 10-15% of our work. Of course, this was the best way to lose work: successful completion of a project.

Congrats
Trust me, succes is the best precursor for future contracts (although I don't know how much y'all went overbudget.

D H said:
Textbook docking. My company just lost 10-15% of our work. Of course, this was the best way to lose work: successful completion of a project.

So are you gainfully unemployed now? :smile:

CS

Still gainfully employed. In fact, we're still hiring. We knew this particular project was coming to an end quite some time ago. It ended quite nicely. BTW, I misspoke. I should have said my employer, rather than my company. I am but a peon ...

They said on the news that the Jules delivered supplies and then would take on trash to burn up on re entry. They also said that no one was on the station. What actually did the transfer?

FredGarvin said:
They said on the news that the Jules delivered supplies and then would take on trash to burn up on re entry. They also said that no one was on the station.

You either heard wrong or the news you watched got it wrong. No one was on the Jules Verne. A crew of five were (and are) onboard the ISS at the time of docking: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/expeditions/expedition16/index.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
Twould take on trash to burn up on re entry.
Is that why there are women astronauts? Somebody has to make the guys take the trash out!

stewartcs said:
So are you gainfully unemployed now? :smile:

CS

Hey, that's my job! BTW; I'm going to have to change my sig now; I got hired.

FredGarvin said:
... They also said that no one was on the station. What actually did the transfer?

Who said that? There are personell on the station, they had to make ready to evacuate if that 22-ton monster came in with anything but the gentlest of intentions.

Watched the whole thing on NASA tv; truly lovely.

D H said:
You either heard wrong or the news you watched got it wrong. No one was on the Jules Verne. A crew of five were (and are) onboard the ISS at the time of docking: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/expeditions/expedition16/index.html" .
Ahhh. That makes more sense. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
Is that why there are women astronauts? Somebody has to make the guys take the trash out!
Some women would say "look at the extents we have to go to to get you to take the trash out!"

What is an ATV?

An ATV (Automated Transfer Vehicle) is a cargo spacecraft used by the European Space Agency to resupply the International Space Station (ISS).

What is the purpose of docking an ATV to the ISS?

The docking of an ATV to the ISS allows for the delivery of crucial supplies, such as food, water, and experiments, to the astronauts living on the space station.

How does the ATV dock to the ISS?

The docking process involves the ATV approaching the ISS, and then using its automated docking system to connect to a port on the ISS. This process is controlled by ground teams and monitored by the astronauts on board the ISS.

What happens to the ATV after it docks to the ISS?

After docking, the ATV remains attached to the ISS for a few months, during which time it serves as an additional storage area for the astronauts. It is then filled with waste and detached from the ISS, burning up in Earth's atmosphere upon re-entry.

How often do ATVs dock to the ISS?

ATVs have been used to dock to the ISS since 2008, with a total of 5 successful missions. The frequency of ATV missions depends on the needs of the ISS and the capabilities of other cargo spacecraft, such as the Russian Progress and the US SpaceX Dragon.