Solving Atwood Machine: m1 & m2 Reaching Floor & Ascending Height

In summary: If you're still having trouble after that, I recommend seeking out a tutor or professor. In summary, the Atwood machine will ascend from the floor at a speed of 0.851m/s2.
DmytriE

Homework Statement

One mass, m1 = 215g, of an ideal Atwood machine rests on the floor 1.10m below the other mass, m2 = 255g. (a) If the masses are released from rest, how long does it take m2 to reach the floor? (b) How high will mass m1 ascend from the floor?

Known variables:
m1 = 215g = 0.215kg = F1
m2 = 255g = 0.255kg = F2
yd = 1.10m

Homework Equations

F2 - F1 = (m1 + m2)a
yd = v0t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

A.
2.5N - 2.1N = (0.255kg + 0.215kg)*a
0.4N = 0.47kg*a
a = 0.851m/s2

1.10m = 1/2*(0.851m/s2)*t2
t = 1.61s

B. I think I have to use equation 'b' in the relevant equations section but I do not know how to use it properly. For this part I have the masses or each object, the acceleration of the entire apparatus, and the different forces. Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DmytriE.

You might want to keep a few more decimal places in your intermediate values so that rounding errors don't creep into your results.

You may need to think about recruiting some additional equations for part (B). When m2 hits the floor at the time t that you've calculated, what happens to the forces acting on m1? What's m1's state of motion at that instant?

That's the problem. I don't know what other equations I need to use to figure out this problem. This is what I have:

a = 0.834 m/s2
v0 = 0 m/s
t = 1.62s
x = 1.10 m

As m2 is accelerating downward toward the ground m1 is accelerating upward. It will continue to accelerate for 1.10m (the point where m2 hits the ground) and then m1 begins to slow down.

xm1 = 1.10 + the distance it takes for a = 0.

Maybe I should be looking at a different acceleration for m1 since it's lighter than m2? m1 should accelerate quicker than m2.

NOTE: I have just graduated college with a BA in biochemistry. This is no longer homework for me but an interest and a learning experience. I will not be getting homework points. :smile:

DmytriE said:
That's the problem. I don't know what other equations I need to use to figure out this problem. This is what I have:

a = 0.834 m/s2
v0 = 0 m/s
t = 1.62s
x = 1.10 m

As m2 is accelerating downward toward the ground m1 is accelerating upward. It will continue to accelerate for 1.10m (the point where m2 hits the ground) and then m1 begins to slow down.

xm1 = 1.10 + the distance it takes for a = 0.

Maybe I should be looking at a different acceleration for m1 since it's lighter than m2? m1 should accelerate quicker than m2.

As long as the Atwood machine's parts are free from external interference they will move together -- the same velocity and the same acceleration. The string will remain tensioned.

When m2 hits the floor, m1 continues its upward journey and the string (presumably the much vaunted "light inextensible string" of physics folklore) will go slack. At this point m1 is behaving as a projectile fired upwards with whatever velocity it had attained immediately before m2 hit the floor. So to go further you need:

1. The height when m1 is "launched" (you have this)
2. The velocity of m1 when it is "launched"
3. The new situation for forces acting on m1 after launch
4. Appropriate projectile motion equations (Hint: conservation of energy would help here)

NOTE: I have just graduated college with a BA in biochemistry. This is no longer homework for me but an interest and a learning experience. I will not be getting homework points. :smile:

That's most commendable. Won't change what happens here though! :smile:

I understand gneill. Your post had me look at the problem in an entirely different way. Thanks!

Sometimes a day or two off helps reset the brain.

What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or cable that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate basic principles of mechanics and can be used to solve various problems involving motion and acceleration.

What are the forces acting on the masses in an Atwood machine?

The two main forces acting on the masses in an Atwood machine are the weight of the masses and the tension in the string. The weight of each mass is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity. The tension in the string is equal to the weight of one mass minus the weight of the other mass.

How do you solve for the acceleration of an Atwood machine?

To solve for the acceleration of an Atwood machine, you can use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of an Atwood machine, the net force is equal to the difference between the weights of the two masses. So, by rearranging the equation, you can solve for acceleration.

What is the equation for solving an Atwood machine?

The equation for solving an Atwood machine is: a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 and m2 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the string and pulley are massless and there is no friction present.

What factors can affect the accuracy of solutions for an Atwood machine?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of solutions for an Atwood machine, including the presence of friction, the mass of the string and pulley, and the accuracy of measurements for the masses and distances. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the pulley or string can also affect the accuracy of solutions.