1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood Machine Help Please!

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    In the Atwood machine, what should M be, in terms of m1 and m2 so that it doesn't move? [PLAIN]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8288/atwood.jpg [Broken]

My work: It doesn't move, so I said T1=Mg (T1 is the tension in the rope attached to M), I believe the tension in the rope connecting m1 and m2 is the same since its the same rope, so I said T1=2T2. And I said T2-m1g=m1*a, and T2-m2g=-m2*a, negative because the acceleration of those masses is in opposite directions, but should be of the same magnitude. Adding those two equations together, I find T2=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/2, and since T1=2T2=Mg, I said
    M=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/g...and I can simplify this to M=2m2*(g-a)/g.
    I don't believe this is right because it isn't just in terms of m1 and m2....I did it another way before and got M=(m1+m2)/2, but I don't believe the process was right.
    Any help? this is due in the morning.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is very good, and correct....but, you have written M as a function of m2, g, and a...you need to solve for a to find M as a function of m1, m2, and g
    Edit....g cancels out...M is a function of m1 and m2 only

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    Ok, if I did my algebra right, I get 4m1m2/(m1+m2), is this what you got?

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is very good work, I must say. It is difficult setting up the equations, then doing the algebra, with letter vs. numerical values..nice job simplifying, also!:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook