Atwood Machine Help: Problem 1 Harvard

In summary, an Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device used to demonstrate principles of mechanics. The problem presented in "Atwood Machine Help: Problem 1 Harvard" involves determining the acceleration of the system using Newton's laws of motion and the concept of equilibrium. To solve this problem, one should draw a diagram, set up equations using Newton's second law and the concept of equilibrium, and double check for common mistakes.
coppersauce

Homework Statement

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic725237.files/problemset3_2010.pdf (Problem 1)

Homework Equations

f=ma, string conservation

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to do this. I know that the t of the string on the left is equal to the two strings in the middle, and... I'm just kinda confused... Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
the question is not shown(i need to have an id ) .. can you write your question here ..

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or cable that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of mechanics and is commonly used in physics experiments.

2. What is the problem being presented in "Atwood Machine Help: Problem 1 Harvard"?

The problem being presented in "Atwood Machine Help: Problem 1 Harvard" is a specific scenario involving an Atwood Machine, in which the masses, pulley, and string are all given and the goal is to determine the acceleration of the system.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving this problem are Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. The concept of tension in the string and the concept of equilibrium (when the net force is equal to zero) are also important to understand.

4. How can I approach solving this problem?

First, draw a diagram of the Atwood Machine and label all known values. Then, use Newton's second law to set up an equation involving the net force on each mass. Next, use the concept of equilibrium to set up another equation. Finally, solve the system of equations to find the acceleration of the system.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of problem include not accounting for the tension in the string, not setting up the equations correctly, and not using the correct units in calculations. It is also important to double check your work and make sure the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.