Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: ATWOOD MACHINE help!

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

String that is equal in length to the string connecting the pulley is sometimes tied to the bottoms of the two masses, where it hangs suspended between them. Explain why this would reduce experimental errors.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure but does the string help stabalize the masses when one is dropped so they travel the exact same distance?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The question asks why it helps to reduce experimental errors. It's not refering to mechanically stabilizing anything.

What are the assumptions for an ideal Atwood Machine? What keeps you from being able to build an ideal/perfect AM? What could you do to mitigate these imperfections?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3
    But I don't understand what the experimental errors are... how could string have affected it in any way?

5. Mar 4, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Did you read the link that I posted? The clues are in there. (Or in your textbook's description of the AM)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook