Atwood Machine Lab Homework: Solve for Moment of Inertia

In summary, the experiment involves validating the equation (m1 – m2)g = (m1 + m2 + I/R2)a by plotting the weight difference against acceleration and solving for the slope and y-intercept. The expected result is a zero y-intercept, but a non-zero value is observed due to the relationship between m1 and m2. The experiment also involves transferring a dime between masses to increase acceleration, but it is not clear how this relates to the rest of the experiment. The moment of inertia for the pulley should not be negative, and if it is, a minus sign was likely misplaced.
Jam51

Homework Statement

I am given the equation (m1 – m2)g = (m1 + m2 + I/R2)a and the experiment is to validate this equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After following the lab guide, it tells you to plot the weight difference (m1– m2)g against acceleration and determine the slope and y-intercept.

If my graph is correct, than my equation is: y = 34.3x + 56.409

And from here we are asked to solve for I (moment of inertia of the pulley). It also tells us that the equation predicted a zero y-intercept, however a non-zero is expected. why?

I have no idea what to do with the slope or y-intercept in this situation. I was hoping for the radius of the pulley, but that is not given to us, nor is the mass of the pulley.

Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have t think about what the equations are telling you about the physics ... when a=0, this is a constant speed.
What does the theory tell you needs to happen for a=0, and what does your experiment tell you?
Hint - look at the relationship between m1 and m2.

Did you have the option to measure the dimensions of the pulley?

The idea was that you would transfer a dime from one mass to the other to get an increased acceleration from one trial to the next. It accelerates the system twice the weight on the dime faster as its removed from one and placed on the other, so the mass of the system is always constant. Now sure how that relates to the rest... As for the pulley, no I don't have that option as I do not have the lab kit anymore - just going off of data I collected

Jam,

I'm working on a similar lab. Did you happen to get a negative value for your moment of inertia?

You should not get a negative moment of inertia for the pulley... if you did, then you misplaced a minus sign somewhere.

What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or cord that passes over a pulley. It is used to study the effects of gravitational forces on a system.

Why is the Moment of Inertia important to calculate in an Atwood Machine experiment?

The Moment of Inertia is an important physical property that measures an object's resistance to rotational motion. In an Atwood Machine, it is used to calculate the acceleration of the system and understand the relationship between the masses and the pulley's rotation.

How do you calculate the Moment of Inertia in an Atwood Machine experiment?

The Moment of Inertia can be calculated by using the equation I = mr², where I is the Moment of Inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

What factors can affect the Moment of Inertia in an Atwood Machine experiment?

The Moment of Inertia can be affected by the mass and shape of the objects involved, the distance of the masses from the pulley, and the distribution of mass within the objects.

How can the Moment of Inertia be used to predict the behavior of an Atwood Machine?

By calculating the Moment of Inertia, one can determine the acceleration of the system and the direction of motion. This information can be used to predict the behavior of the Atwood Machine and understand the relationship between the masses and the pulley.