1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood Machine problem

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    In the drawing, there are two blocks connected by a rope and pulley. One block is on the table while the other is hanging off of the table. Block A, with a weight of 396 N, is on the table. Block B is hanging off of the table, and has a weight of 180 N. Ignore all frictional effects and assume the pulley to be massless.

Find the acceleration of the two blocks.

T= ma
    N-Fg= 0

I made an x and y chart for each of the blocks to show which forces pulled in which direction.

Block A- In the x-direction, there is no Fg or N, but there is T, and the ma is positive. So, I found the equation T= ma........ In the y-direction Fg is negative, and there is an N, while ma=0. So I found the equation N-Fg=0.

Block B- There are no forces in the x-direction. In the y-direction, Fg is negative, there is T, and ma is negative, as well. So, I found the equation T- Fg= -ma

I found the mass of block B to be 18.349 kg (I divided 180 by 9.81).

And I substituted all of my known values into my equations...

T-180= -18.349a

I know that T= ma, so I substituted ma for T on the left side of the equation...

I solved for acceleration and got 4.905, which is the incorrect answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2
    First treat the masses as one system... then try to find the Net force acting on the system... then you will be able to find acceleration
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?